This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox will not play video from news.sky.com

Firefox will not play video from news.sky.com or http://nestkastlive.nl/buizerd/
    It works fine via Chromium and even Konqueror.

Youtube and other news sites work fine.

Do others have the same problem with Firefox and if not, what would be different?
    One of the last things I tried was to install libavcodec57 and libavcodec57-extra but no luck.

Using Kubuntu 14.03, with Firefox 58.0.2 (64-bit), the videos seem to play OK. In Firefox, I have no add-ons installed (not even NoScript). I see you are using 17.10.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Works for me with palemoon. Is that egg about to roll out of the nest?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks, these observations point to a local problem.

It's a bit early for eggs, especially without a bird on top because it is freezing.
        I believe you are mistaken a stub of a branch for an egg

Comment

Hehe, that's for sure a branch and not an egg.
          I'm using 58.0.2 on Kubuntu 14.04.
          No problem with this video.
          I restarted Firefox in safe mode, and the video plays well. Maybe you can restart Firefox in safe mode. That disables all extensions and changes in the configuration you made. If the video does play, it must be something in your extensions or settings.
          If you type in a console
          Code:
          firefox --safe-mode
          Firefox will start in safe mode.
          Be sure to choose 'Start in safe mode', otherwise all your settings etc. will be gone.
          (We're both Dutch, so probably have both Firefox in Dutch, but that safe-mode window is written in English.)

Comment

Ah, the Netherlands. Certainly too cold for eggs!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Works for me with Firefox 58 on Kubuntu 16.04.

As for codecs,
              Code:
              $ apt list --installed | grep -i  libavcodec*

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

libavcodec-ffmpeg56/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 7:2.8.11-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]$
              Edit: and it works in Kubuntu 18.04 as well with Firefox 57.0.1:
              Code:
              $ apt list --installed | grep -i libavcodec*

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

libavcodec57/bionic,now 7:3.4.2-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
              $
              Last edited by chimak111; Feb 26, 2018, 07:57 PM.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Re my Post #2 above,

Code:
                apt list --installed | grep -i  libavcodec*

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface yet. Use with caution in scripts.

libavcodec-extra/trusty-updates,trusty-security,now 6:9.20-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 all [installed]
                libavcodec-extra-54/trusty-updates,trusty-security,now 6:9.20-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

A little progress.

When waiting long enough the stream from the nest cams does show up.

When running Firefox in safe mode it shows up considerably quicker.
                  Meaning I'll have to disable the various plug ins and re-enable them one by one.

The problem with Sky News is still there, have a look at this guy:
                  https://news.sky.com/video/van-crash...about-11269673

Comment

When waiting long enough the stream from the nest cams does show up.
                    Mine played OK (see Post #2), but I did click around a couple times to get it to go.

The problem with Sky News is still there, have a look at this guy:
                    https://news.sky.com/video/van-crash...about-11269673
                    I had no problem viewing that video, or others there.

Comment

Thanks for your help pointing me in the right direction.
                      Now I have to go searching...

Comment

I have found the reason for videos from sky.news.com not playing, it is Ghostery blocking a nefarious tracker attached to the video service.

About Ooyala:

Ooyala operates: Ooyala Analytics, Ooyala Player

In Their Own Words

"We help our partners manage their online video, from first upload to final publish. We deliver that video around the globe, to all devices, at the best speed and quality. We provide incredibly detailed analytics in real time that help our partners make smart strategic content and monetization choices. We help publishers earn more with the industry’s most powerful and easy-to-use advertising and paywall tools."

http://www.ooyala.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X