This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaffeine TV no video

Cannot get video on Kubuntu 17.10 with kaffeine ver 2.0.13-1 (or 2.0.5 or 2.0.12), but I do get it on the same PC with Linux Mint KDE 18.3 ver 2.0.12-1 and with Fedora 27 KDE ver 2.0.14. The KDE Pulse versions are in the same order 5.10.5, 5.8.8 and 5.11.4 respectively. Phonon backends VLC and Gstreamer on Kubuntu, for which I have to go back to ver 1.2.2-3 to get video on kaffeine TV. What could be the problem?
    Last edited by hallergard; Jan 21, 2018, 11:12 AM.

What is your tuner card?

Have you tried another program to see if it can play tv?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Using PCI card Hauppauge WinTV-Nova-T for dvb-t. Have not tried another TV program because I cannot find any that installs. Could you maybe suggest one?

Comment

We need to isolate if it's kaffeine problem or driver problem, which would suggest a kernel regression.

Try antenna DTV

http://antenna-dtv.sourceforge.net/

VLV and mplayer can also watch tuner streams.

BTW what was the kernel in Mint KDE vs Kubuntu you are using?

Comment

Originally posted by hallergard View Post
          Cannot get video on Kubuntu 17.10 with kaffeine ver 2.0.13-1 (or 2.0.5 or 2.0.12), but I do get it on the same PC with Linux Mint KDE 18.3 ver 2.0.12-1 and with Fedora 27 KDE ver 2.0.14. The KDE Pulse versions are in the same order 5.10.5, 5.8.8 and 5.11.4 respectively. Phonon backends VLC and Gstreamer on Kubuntu, for which I have to go back to ver 1.2.2-3 to get video on kaffeine TV. What could be the problem?
          I am test building 2.0.14 in a PPA for 17.10 and 18.04.

When that has finished building and publishes (assuming it does), maybe you can try that.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Kernel for Kubuntu 17.10 was 4.13.0-21-generic and is now 4.13.0-25-generic, and Mint 18.3 is 4.13.0-26 generic.

Tried antenna DVB but could not get xine to find a DVB input device. Tried VLC but got stuck with a blank source.

Tried kaffeine 2.0.14 in the PPA for 17.10, but still no video.

Comment

Are you sure all the kernel modules are loaded?

Comment

No I am not sure, and I do not know how to check if they are. How? Kaffeine ver 1.2.2-3 is working, recognizes the TV card

Comment

No I am not sure, and I do not know how to check if they are. How? Kaffeine ver 1.2.2-3 is working, recognizes the TV card
                  Ok then it's not a kernel problem. Something about how KDE is configured in your current distro.

fwiw I use a program that is agnostic to desktop environment for TV watching and recording, it's called tvheadend.

Unfortunately the learning curve is steep.

Comment

Yes tvheadend seems to be too advanced for me.

Could it be something as simple as a non working mpeg-2 codec?

Comment

Yes tvheadend seems to be too advanced for me.

Could it be something as simple as a non working mpeg-2 codec?
                      That could be the issue for playback. The way to test it is to use kaffeine to do a scheduled recording. That will simply dump the stream to your hard disk, since digital broadcasts are just mpeg2 transport streams.

You can then use a program with a built in decoder like kodi to play back teh saved file. If it plays, that means kaffeine is detecting the tuner and tuning properly, but cannot play the stream.

Is caffeine able to do a channel scan and detect the channels? Sorry I don't know much about DVB since we use ATSC here.

Comment

OK, recorded black video, playing back in kaffeine black video, playing back with VLC normal video. Yes, the channel scan works fine.

Comment

OK, recorded black video, playing back in kaffeine black video, playing back with VLC normal video. Yes, the channel scan works fine.
                          kaffeine has issues with the codec then. Or whatever backend KDE uses.

Comment

Any suggestion about what to try?

Comment

have you tried me-tv ?

Comment

Working...
                              X