This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akregator notifications

I've noted the system tray icon no longer indicates number of unread messages. Can we please have that back? or an option? The only notification is the icon's presence, and without number that is easily overlooked.
    p.s. ' Senior Member'? maybe, chronologically, but more like Geriatric Member.
    Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Jan 07, 2018, 08:44 PM.

It's an upstream KDE coding decision to do away with them.

https://cgit.kde.org/akregator.git/c...58a2bd9075eb1a
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

I don't think there is any dev that really cares about Akregator, it has some 6 year old bug that is a major issue but they rather delete features than fix them.

I've been using QuiteRss for a while and that's a good reader, had no problems. That has the number in the systray. It's in the repository, so you don't need to look for it.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        It's an upstream KDE coding decision to do away with them.

https://cgit.kde.org/akregator.git/c...58a2bd9075eb1a
        As your emoji - sad.
        Trying QuiteRSS re Bings' recommendation below.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
          I don't think there is any dev that really cares about Akregator, it has some 6 year old bug that is a major issue but they rather delete features than fix them.

I've been using QuiteRss for a while and that's a good reader, had no problems. That has the number in the systray. It's in the repository, so you don't need to look for it.
          Thanks Bings. clean install and setup. Now closed, is it resident? Time will tell. I have a few really active feeds so it shouldn't be long ...

Comment

When you quit the program it won't show you any updates but you can configure it to go to the system tray when you hit the X by pressing F8 and going to the "system tray" section in the options

Comment

Thunderbird's RSS feature is pretty robust. There's an extension called GNotifier that, if set to "standard", will use native KDE notifications to show email and RSS notifications (or only one or the other). I gave up on Akregator as it keps corrupting my feeds xml file and generating a default one. Not cool!
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                When you quit the program it won't show you any updates but you can configure it to go to the system tray when you hit the X by pressing F8 and going to the "system tray" section in the options
                Thanks, Bings. I've already found that. Yes, it goes to the System Tray, but Hidden! My Kubuntu OS (Linux) has a system tray sub-menu for those, under an 'anonymous' arrow icon, so arriving messages are not *visibly* notified.
                The devs/authors (seemingly Russian) are working on a rewrite, so I've put in a suggestion for an 'unhidden' option that would do it - now waiting.
                Meanwhile, dequire has told me of a Thunderbird add-on for RSS. As that's my mailer anyway, and I have a previewing "TSR" (my DOS heritage terminology) for incomings there - I think I'll try that.

Cheers, FBt

Comment

You can configure this on the panel. Right click the arrow on the right of the system tray and click "system tray settings" Click on the "Entries" tab and change the drop down menu next to QuiteRss to "Shown"

Hidden icons are visible by left clicking the arrow.

Comment

Thanks for that, Bings. It worked... sluggishly. My i3 hp machine, like me, is getting old

Comment

Working...
                    X