This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Context menu options when right-clicking on desktop folders

I'm posting two images, one for 16.04 and the other for 17.10, both fully updated with kubuntu-backports. In both cases, "Folder View" is enabled.

Right-clicking on a folder lying on the desktop in 16.04 provides a context menu with options I'm used to. But doing the same in 17.10 has options, among others, offering to open the folder in Kate, LibreOffice Writer, Okular, etc. Is that the new expected behavior? (I didn't try to see what would happen.)
    Attached Files
    Kubuntu 20.04

On the right, the "Desktop" folder is actually an icon that is simply a shortcut (a text file with the ".desktop" extension) to opening Dolphin in the Desktop location, as opposed to an actual folder/folder shortcut, as on the left. Opening it in kate is perfectly safe since you are viewing a text file.

I am not sure, as I have not used a Folder View desktop layout in some years, but I think that the different ways of making shortcuts may make the different links. Drag-and-drop and using the right-click menu may produce different types. I am away from a KDE desktop so I cannot check.
    Also, if the Desktop icon is there as a default, I imagine that using a .desktop icon instead of a folder shortcut might be because it is possible to change the "Desktop" location to a different folder than the one called "Desktop"

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      On the right, the "Desktop" folder is actually an icon that is simply a shortcut (a text file with the ".desktop" extension) to opening Dolphin in the Desktop location, as opposed to an actual folder/folder shortcut, as on the left. Opening it in kate is perfectly safe since you are viewing a text file.
      Yes, I just chose to open with kate and it opened a desktop file.
      Code:
      [Desktop Entry]
      Encoding=UTF-8
      Name=Home
      GenericName=Personal Files
      URL[$e]=$HOME
      Icon=user-home
      Type=Link
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
      X