This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network manager

I have noticed network manager is having problems with a 5g connection, works fine on 2.4g . It's like this on all my laptops that have 17.04 or 17.10 with network-manager. I have 2 that have wicd and have no problems. This started with 17.04 and now with 17.10 but no problems with network-manager on 16.04. I installed wicd on 17.04 and 17.10, removed network-manager but wicd doesn't find a connection on 17.04 or 17.10 at all. Any ideas or someone with same issue?
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Nope ,,,but thank you for reminding me I had not added the 5G network to my 17.10 it's working fine on this
    Code:
    04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3160 (rev 83)
           Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
           Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
           Kernel modules: iwlwifi
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

My Acer Aspire V3-771G laptop with an Atheros AR9462 wifi chip, connecting to my Cisco Linksys E2500 wifi router had a devil of a time connecting with 5g, so I always ran in 802.11g, which limited it to 54Mbps. That was no problem because my cable bandwidth at the time was 35Mbps. Then I upped my cable bandwidth to 60Mpbs and even though I was running DD-WRT as the E2500 firmware it wouldn't reliably connect to the N network (802.11n).

A couple months ago lightening took out my E2500 and I bought a Buffalo 600N wifi router which came with DD-WRT as the firmware (which is why I bought it). That router was a whole other beast. It offered two bands, 2G and 5G, that are run simultaneously. I labeled the 2G SSID "GreyGeek2" and the 5G SSID "GreyGeek5".

Network Manager had no problem connecting my AR9462 to the Buffalo on either SSID. My iPhone6 was never able to connect to the E2500 "Mixed" mode, which was supposed to offer an 11n connection, but connecting to GreyGeek5 on the Buffalo my iPhone gives me 100Mbps symmetrical against my new ISP, which gives me a 100Mbps fiber optic connection. In the system tray the connection speed of the chip has been as high a 248 Mpbs, which I had never seen in five years using Kubuntu or Neon.

I had also been plagued with connection slowdowns on my wifi. The connection speed would drop to 1Mbps but the connection was essentially dead. I'd disconnect and reconnect and it would be good at 54Mbps for a while. It was bad enough that I switched to using cable on my eth0 port. Now, however, using the cable offers no speed or reliability advantage so I just use the wifi router.

IOW, I am saying that your problem may be your wifi router. It was for me, and had it not been for the lightening strike I might still be blaming my Atheros wifi chip for poor wifi performance.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I thought it might be my router which is Verizons. I have the 150 up and 150 download speed which seems fine on my 16.04 machines. All my wifi cards are Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron]. The 5g works on my wifes Fire tablet as well. I wanted to switch to wicd but 17.04 and 17.10 will not show a connection or even see my router. I wonder why wicd isn't working?
        Alienware 17 R2
        ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
        Nvidia Graphics
        16 Ram

Comment

I'm not sure if this is the issue but there's a problem with the current version of network-manager and Debian Unstable;
          I fought with it for a little more than a week before I got it resolved. Gonna refer you to this reddit post I made - there is an upstream bug filed against this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comm...dness/doe91t0/

Not sure if this is your issue but it sure sounds like it.

Also, network-manager and wicd conflict with each other if both are installed. If you're trying to use wicd network-manager should be completely removed and vice versa

Hope this helps -
          Last edited by wizard10000; Oct 21, 2017, 04:33 AM.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
            I'm not sure if this is the issue but there's a problem with the current version of network-manager and Debian Unstable;
            I fought with it for a little more than a week before I got it resolved. Gonna refer you to this reddit post I made - there is an upstream bug filed against this issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comm...dness/doe91t0/

Not sure if this is your issue but it sure sounds like it.

Also, network-manager and wicd conflict with each other if both are installed. If you're trying to use wicd network-manager should be completely removed and vice versa
            allready
            Hope this helps -
            strange ,,,,my /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf allready is set
            Code:
            [device]
            wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no
            so maybe the ones with problems have set MAC randomization in the network manager app/system tray

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              strange ,,,,my /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf allready is set
              Mine was *not* set, which appears to be the issue I had. Either NM or my wireless card doesn't like MAC randomization, which is now the default in NM. But - I run Sid, started having issues about two weeks ago and it took me a week to stumble onto that bug report
              we see things not as they are, but as we are.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies. Update: Like wizard10000 my problem started about 2 weeks ago. My 5G connection was fine till then. Maybe update caused problem. When I switched to 2.4G was better but my speed still seemed to suffer. So I installed wicd, removed nm but wicd would not even see my connections at all. I plugged in wire and installed nm and removed wicd, connection now back but same problem. So I installed a fresh 17.10 and same thing with 5G so I tried installing wicd and uninstalled nm, with the wired connection, because I noticed that wicd will not work correctly unless you have a wired connection while installing it, and it worked this time. Yes, wizard10000 I always uninstalled nm when i replaced it with wicd. Now it seems to be working great and wireless is faster now than it ever was with nm.

PS my networkmanager.conf already had
                [device]
                wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

in it but was not connecting to 5G correctly.
                Last edited by eddieg538; Oct 23, 2017, 09:10 PM.
                Alienware 17 R2
                ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                Nvidia Graphics
                16 Ram

Comment

Working...
                X