This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hgh CPU load from Plasmashell and Xorg

I have installed Artful on my Wife's laptop and I have not used any fancy proposed repositories like I did on my "experimental" desktop.

What I have noticed is that this new installation has plasmashell and Xorg using about 36% and 19% of the CPU. If I start Synaptic update-apt-xapi uses about 48% and then finally drops out, while plamashell then increases to about 42$ and Xorg to 22%. The total CPU for everything amounts to 70%, ie firefox and ksysguard included.

I consider this excessive and I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with a new installation.

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    ... If I start Synaptic update-apt-xapi uses about 48% and then finally drops out. ...
    Yes, it shows "Rebuilding search index" for some time and the %CPU is high then. After that's done, "Rebuilding search index" is replaced by "Quick Filter".

acheron explained that "apt-xapian-index" is brought in by libqapt.

I don't know if there's a way to disable Synaptic's Quick Filter other than by removing apt-xapian-index which may not be a good idea.

I ran a simulated purge of apt-xapina-index and a lot of other important packages would be taken out as well.
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
     libxapian-1.3-5 python3-xapian1.3
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
     apt-xapian-index* apturl-kde* gstreamer-qapt* kubuntu-driver-manager* kubuntu-notification-helper* libkubuntu1* libqapt3* libqapt3-runtime*
     qapt-batch* qapt-deb-installer* software-properties-kde*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 11 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    I think the consequences would be similar for 17.10. (I did this on 16.04.)
    Last edited by chimak111; Oct 20, 2017, 04:56 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I have now found that the system is operating normally with plasmashell only popping in and out briefly. I am beginning to think that it now includes the role of baloo which I understood was involved in allowing fast access to files.

As I keep a separate root and home directories, the new installation was probably resorting the organisation of the access to files. I am sure there are many on this forum who understand this aspect more than me.

I am now very pleased with the responsiveness of Artful.

Comment

I confess that I was mistaken as in the past couple of days I have noticed plasmashell using about 50% CPU for long periods of time. It seems very easy to provoke this type of behaviour, particularly if discover does an update.

Comment

Working...
        X