This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail and printing

Does anyone know whether it will be possible to print directly from KMail in 17.10 and not have to go round the houses using the browser?

In all versions of KMail I've run during the last dozen years or so there was a menu option: File-->Print and File-->Print Preview. Those always worked for me.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      In all versions of KMail I've run during the last dozen years or so there was a menu option: File-->Print and File-->Print Preview. Those always worked for me.
      kdepim (including kmail) switched to using qtwebengine for mail viewing a while back (with some controversy), which has lead to problems with printing (and work arounds like using external browser for printing). qtwebengine 5.8+ should apparently include printing support, but at least on my neon trying to print freezes kmail. (I generally don't print emails, so I haven't really looked into it yet).

Comment

This issue is a real annoyance for me as I do sometimes print emails. I was hoping it would be fixed in 17.10...

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          kdepim (including kmail) switched to using qtwebengine for mail viewing a while back (with some controversy), which has lead to problems with printing (and work arounds like using external browser for printing). qtwebengine 5.8+ should apparently include printing support, but at least on my neon trying to print freezes kmail. (I generally don't print emails, so I haven't really looked into it yet).
          mmm ... To test, I just printed out an email from KMail and it printed with no problems. I haven't paid any attention to which technology it was using to print but since I installed Neon User Edition w/ Btrfs I haven't had any problem printing to my HP P1606dn laser printer supported by HPLIP and CUPS.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            To test, I just printed out an email from KMail and it printed with no problems.
            Good to hear...TBH, my Neon printing issues may very well be a local problem (my system is a very customized one), and printing might be working fine in Neon in general. This doesn't mean there still are issues with Kubuntu kpepim packages, though, I don't really know which version of qtwebengine they are build against, as I no longer have kubuntu installed on any of my iron.

Comment

Working...
            X