This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    That's a typo on my part. I meant 17.10, and I'm not trying that either. I was running 16.04 and planned to move to the 21.04 LTS, but I decided to switch to Neon User Edition about a year ago and it is sort of a rolling update.
    I have just checked the rules for LTS and if I am correct it is LTS releases come in the fourth month of even years. From this rule the next LTS is 18.04 and the one after that is 20.04.

My understanding is that the main reason for staying with the LTS is that you avoid doing frequent updates associated with the normal releases, and the LTS is supported for 3 or more years. The normal release is supported for about 18 months. In this time there are 3 normal releases which would have, in that time, significant advances. Therefore I prefer the normal release.

Comment

Package Conflict

That's the best thing about Linux - choices.

IIRC, there are 3 year LTS releases and 5 year LTS releases. My plan with Kubuntu was to use 5 year LTS releases. I interrupted that plan by switching to Neon User Edition. The Ubuntu Wiki gives a graph of the release schedule.

The number of PPA's installed is a non-issue to me. And with automatic security updates in the background so is update frequency. If 17.10 is like previous Kubuntu releases you'll have a smooth running system after the install. In my experience even alpha releases were relatively stable and betas were rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 24, 2017, 06:43 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X