Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh Install - Graphical Errors on Desktop - KWin instant crash?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Install - Graphical Errors on Desktop - KWin instant crash?

I did a fresh install of kUbuntu 17.10 desktop i386. Computer is hooked to working Internet modem with Ethernet cable. Selected download updates and download 3rd party software while installing. Installation is successful. kUbuntu logs on fine. However when it gets to the desktop there is a graphical glitch, thin horizontal lines, https://imgur.com/a/Ou2oq, at the top and bottom of the screen. Clicking around the desktop does nothing.

Sometimes "KWin will crash."
    Details: Executable kwin_x11
    PID: 1916
    Signal Segmentation fault (11)

Pressing Cltr+Alt+Del works fine and I can Suspect, Restart, Power Down, Log Off, and On without any problems. Logging Off then On makes the desktop completely black, but I can still see and move the mouse cursor.

These graphical glitches and desktop "locking" occurs even when I use the install disc live in the "Try kUbuntu" mode. Thank you.

CPU - i686 2210 Mhz
    RAM - 2GB
    HDD - 120 GB
    MB - old Dell something.

Looks like a compositor failure.

Can you open a terminal and post the output of:

Code:
    inxi -Fxz

Comment

Your PC Specs are ‘bare bones minimum’ for running any recent version of Kubuntu. Do you know if your CPU is a ‘dual-core’ or not? What video card is in your PC?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can you open a terminal and post the output of:
        I do not know how. What would be the hotkey combo to bring up the terminal say from Cltr+Alt+Del or right on boot up?

Your PC Specs are ‘bare bones minimum’ for running any recent version of Kubuntu. Do you know if your CPU is a ‘dual-core’ or not? What video card is in your PC?
        Single core. Integrated graphics circuits; 126MB memory allocated (max).
        Last edited by Vidus; Dec 01, 2017, 02:44 PM. Reason: Answering all posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Vidus View Post
          Single core. Integrated graphics circuits; 126MB memory allocated (max).
          With a single core CPU, it is not going to be very likely you will get any decent performance. The minimum CPU requirement calls for a dual-core. Your PC might do you better with a lighter variant of Linux. If you want to stick with the Ubuntu core, then Xubuntu may be a better choice.

Comment

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/u...builds-dropped

If you were hoping to download Ubuntu 17.10 32-bit come its release next month we’ve some bad news to give you.
            Ubuntu is dropping 32-bit builds of Ubuntu desktop entirely as of Ubuntu 17.10
            Does Kubuntu 17.10 support i686?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Not true (yet). See http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...17.10/release/

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                a lighter variant of Linux.
                Any other lighter linux flavors aside X and L?

Comment

Working...
                X