This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamid View Post
    To make it clear: run htop (any flavor), run gwenview and play a video, system freezes including htop, gwenview, desktop … you can not interact with the system, now you want to see what process is taking cpu? I should find out what libraries or software components gwenview, dolphin and the like are using verses what vlc is using since vlc does not halt the system.
    Position the htop konsole in the upper 1/4th of the screen and click the "Keep above others" option found in the upper left corner icon. Then open VLC and position it to take the bottom 3/4s of the screen. Then open a video. The top line of the htop processes list *should* show what had the CPU's attention at the time of the freeze.

Odds are that it is your video driver, probably i915. You can do "modinfo whatever" and check the "parm"s. There may be settings that can be adjusted to eliminate your problem.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK so I finaly got around to checking this in Kubuntu17.10 .

I could not get a "freeze" happen @hear ,,,BUT I did see that both Dolphin and Gwenview are using much higher CPU cycles in 17.10 than in Neon-/dev/stable Gwenview was using 45-50% and dolphin 38-45% as opposed to 3-8% in Neon ,,,,,,,

this dose not cause a freeze on my high end box ,,,,but might on a more moderate system .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

added my 2cents worth to your bug report.

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

I guess the CPU is a type of yes we can. During inxi the system was on calm shores. Even now I look at a Plasma panel widget and it is hovering around %20 @2.74GHz. When it jumps I notice since the fans start. Also a fellow reminded about the temperature which I am actually observing right beside the CPU on the panel. At the time I thought it might not be reliable info, although I liked how it brought all those correctly aligned and with colors in one place. When upgrading I checked which files were being removed and remember some of them were ffmpeg streaming ones that had names of bad, ugly etc (gstreamer sth?). Anyway, I think reporting the bug was correct and contributing to it is worthwhile.

Comment

FEI problem solved: it was a component malfunction. For more info check https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=789835

Comment

FEI problem solved: it was a component malfunction. For more info check https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=789835
              thank you for giving the "fix" that you found ,,,,,,you can mark this thread a "Solved" by editing your first post .

I will see if that fix reduces the CPU load @hear

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

I used thread tools to mark it solved. Is it OK?

Comment

I used thread tools to mark it solved. Is it OK?
                  yes

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                  X