X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install propietary nvidia of ppa

Hello.
    I have a Nvidia GT610 and add a nvidia drivers ppa: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-driv...ive/ubuntu/ppa
    If I try to install 390, install it but after, my system not works fine (have some problems, like with hardware acceleration of chromium and others).
    If I try to install 387, don't install. Install but when I restart computer, not start Plasma, appears a error message that indicate can not initialize Open GL2 (I have set in my settings opengl 3.1).

Only works if I install 384 of kubuntu.

In this moment I have kernel 4.15.2 of http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

But if I remember well, also I try with the default kernel of kubuntu.

Regards!

Stay with 384. That version is only a few months old, so it is in no way old. There probably is no benfit to using the newer driver on this "older" card. I have one, and the 387 drivers did not work well with it for me, so I went with the 384, until the system died in December.

Also, the mainline kernels generally do not work with the proprietary drivers

Comment

Thanks claydoh,
      Yes, at the moment, continue with 384, like you indicate, is only a few months old, and my card is a "little older" But I think is better use this card than the internal card of kabylake... (really, I don't know...).
      But, the mainline kernels, in other distro, I have the same problem, can't install, but here, can install but after, or not work, or work with issue. And in other distro, I can install this drivers in mainline kernel.
      I don't remember if, I try with not mainline kernel, in next days, I try with default kernel of kubuntu.

Thanks and regards!

Comment

That card is pretty old try the 4.4.x kernel. It's a LTS Ubuntu kernel and is support for a few more years. And it's been patched for the Spectre and Meltdown bugs.
        Good luck.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Yes, I have a kernel 4.15.2 for Spectre and Metdown bugs also, because my motherboard it's very new...
          I don't know that the 4.4.x kernel, its a LTS Ubuntu kernel and it's patched for this.
          Well, now...the "stupid question"...I know install kernel that I have in moun or mainline but...this 4.4.x kernel...but in Moun I don't view the 4.4.x kernel...some site for download? I know how install the mainline kernel, is the same process?

Regards!

Comment

You are running 17.10, so there won't be an kernel that old for you. Not necessary. I also don't think you need to run the unmodified mainline kernels either, as they have been patching the standard ones we are using now in all the *buntu versions that are supported - 16.04, 17.10 even 14.04 I think, as well as the upcoming 18.04

Without knowing what motherboard you have, I will guess that it is likely supported in the stock 17.10 kernel

Comment

Thanks claydoh,
              Ok, I understand, I go to activate a stck kernel kubuntu 17.10.
              And yes, the stock kernel support my motherboard, I was install my actual kernel because, in some article in web, I view that this kernel, was patched for Spectre and Metdown, but when I was install kubuntu 17.10, the stock kernel support my motherboard perfectly.
              Again, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X