This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover is broken

Discover seems to be broken! I tried to install a k3btheme. When I click on the install button, it changes to say installing for a few seconds, then goes back to the word install. It never asks for the password. This happens whether I click install from the top or from the description.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I closed and restarted discover. It seems to work now. I discovered that the theme had installed even though it never asked for the password! This could be a security risk depending on who is installing stuff. Discover should never be allowed to install something without asking for the root password. I hope the Ubuntu devs, fix this obvious security issue very soon.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

You'll notice when you fire up Discover that you (if you are like me) will get a message something to the effect of "blah blah blah all categories are broken". Discover is a mess from a usability-standpoint as far as finding and installing software is concerned, and definitely not a shining example of KDE software, even if it is an good example of KDE's Kirigami UI framework. But at this stage it's better left in incubation IMHO.

There's a lot of bugs, and not too many appear to be triaged, but there appear to be numerous recent commits. A blog post about the current state of Discover and it's Flatpak, Snap, and KGNS backends would be most helpful.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

It will install an application theme like that from the store to ~/.local//share/k3b/ in your own home folder, for just you, so no system authorisation is needed.

So no, not a security issue.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          It will install an application theme like that from the store to ~/.local//share/k3b/ in your own home folder, for just you, so no system authorisation is needed.

So no, not a security issue.
          Ok. Good to know. Thanks.

Comment

What are guys using? Muon? Synaptic?

I use the command line to install stuff I know I want, but sometimes you just want to browse for stuff and install what looks cool.

Comment

As a ‘rule’, I always install from the command line. On the rare occasion that I use a GUI Packag Manager (Muon Package Manager here) to ‘find something’, I will still install it via the konsole.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                What are guys using? Muon? Synaptic?

I use the command line to install stuff I know I want, but sometimes you just want to browse for stuff and install what looks cool.
                Discover has the added feature of being able to browse and install Plasma themes and other addons from store.kde.org, as an alternative to the "get new" option in various sections of System Settings. Of course, some of the user-provided content there can be broken or out date, but I hear that KDE is looking to alleviate that problem with some form of vetting.

I may be an old-timer in Linux terms, but I use the updater in the systray for it's purpose, and Discover to browse for things . I do use the command line when I know what I want by name, at least roughly. There should not be any one preferred tool imo, and pushing the command line is not useful for everyone. This probably should be taken into account as we get the influx of Mint KDE users "upgrading" to Kubuntu.
                Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 19, 2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  As a ‘rule’, I always install from the command line. On the rare occasion that I use a GUI Packag Manager (Muon Package Manager here) to ‘find something’, I will still install it via the konsole.
                  Muon is cool for that, because it doesn't take privilege and lock APT when it starts, only when it makes changes. Synaptic locks APT when it starts, so you have to exit it to use the CLI.

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                  X