This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here you go: https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/usage

If you are on 16.04 or later, the Snap back-end is already installed on your system by default. If for some reason your system does not have it installed, see here: https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/install-ubuntu
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
      Here you go: https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/usage

If you are on 16.04 or later, the Snap back-end is already installed on your system by default. If for some reason your system does not have it installed, see here: https://docs.snapcraft.io/core/install-ubuntu
      Those are instructions for IT people. There is probably an easy way.

Comment

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
        Those are instructions for IT people. There is probably an easy way.
        following the instructions for "Debian package" on the link @oshunluvr posted is by far the best way to obtain Spotify ,,,,,,,

in my opinion

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          following the instructions for "Debian package" on the link @oshunluvr posted is by far the best way to obtain Spotify ,,,,,,,

in my opinion

VINNY
          But those instructions are incomplete. You'd need a bit of prior knowledge or further web searching to try to work out how to do it if you've never used the terminal before. So do you mean it's the best way for you?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Comment

The instructions are not ‘incomplete’.

Open a konsole.

Copy/paste step #1 and press Enter.
            Copy/paste step #2 and press Enter.
            Copy/paste step #3 and press Enter.
            Copy/paste step #4 and press Enter.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              The instructions are not ‘incomplete’.

Open a konsole.

Copy/paste step #1 and press Enter.
              Copy/paste step #2 and press Enter.
              Copy/paste step #3 and press Enter.
              Copy/paste step #4 and press Enter.
              I'm glad you added some of the missing information.
              But you omitted what to do with the error messages people have been reporting.

And besides, faffing around with the command line, is not something normal users should be expected to do. There are easier ways.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm glad you added some of the missing information.
                But you omitted what to do with the error messages people have been reporting.
                and what error messages are these and where?

And besides, faffing around with the command line, is not something normal users should be expected to do. There are easier ways.
                and what pray tell are these O wise one ,,,,and do point us in the proper direction wile your at it

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It's hard to score when the goal posts keep moving.

Have you considered Apple/Mac?
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                    It's hard to score when the goal posts keep moving.

Have you considered Apple/Mac?
                    That attitude isn't necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                      That attitude isn't necessary.
                      What attitude? That was a serious suggestion. Contributers here have been very patient. He asked for help and received it. He didn't like that and asked for a deb file. He was given a link but it was too difficult. He was spoon-fed the instructions for the deb file and still it was not to his liking, insisting they were not for "normal" users. So as I stated, the goalposts kept moving so maybe Linux isn't for him?

It's interesting you found "attitude" in my post but not in the one above it or from the OP's responses?
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Let’s all take a breath. There is no need to have this become a testy exchange. It is hard to gauge what was or was not intended (if in deed, anything was intended at all) in written communication.

This is KFN, and one of our hallmarks is our tolerance. It makes us unique amongst almost all other forums. Let’s do our best to ensure we remain so.

Thank you.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          Let’s all take a breath. There is no need to have this become a testy exchange. It is hard to gauge what was or was not intended (if in deed, anything was intended at all) in written communication.

This is KFN, and one of our hallmarks is our tolerance. It makes us unique amongst almost all other forums. Let’s do our best to ensure we remain so.

Thank you.
                          Thanks. I'll try to explain.
                          I think we all appreciate the knowledgeable and enthusiastic help that members provide. However, solutions suitable for experienced users, are often inappropriate for people without any IT training.
                          Fortunately, other people have put in a lot of hard work to make Kubuntu easy to use without any IT training. So that it's not necessary to use special tools like the command line. This is a UI that doesn't offer any cues as to what to do. It does not tolerate mistakes. And requires users to have knowledge of the commands from somewhere. So it is a huge barrier to someone who has never seen it before. In the usability world, such barriers should be avoided.

It is therefore important to understand the level of skill of the user, before recommending a method. If you assume they know as much as you do, when they are a newbie, it's can be very off putting for them. With the danger that they give up on Kubuntu, telling others it has poor usability and hard to use. And eventually having a gradual negative effect on the number of people using Linux.

The community has seen this happen over many years, with enthusiasts giving out misinformation like "Linux is all about the command line", "if you don't like it, go back to Windows or Mac". This is painful to watch when you have put a lot of effort into making Linux easy to use.

So if there is an easy way, never suggest a command line solution to a non IT person. Yes, some might accept it. Some have been told it's important to learn. But generally avoid it. And then we can hope to grow the number of users on Linux.

Regarding Spotify, I have requested that they change their Linux instructions. Which they did already. There is more to be done regarding Flatpak, deb and rpm though. We'll see how that goes.

Currently, it seems, the easiest way for non IT people to install Spotify on Kubuntu is to first install Gnome Software. Which has the Spotify snap in, ready to install. All familiar, user friendly tools that guide the user.
                          Last edited by ianp5a; Jan 03, 2018, 03:09 AM.

Comment

If GUI easy is the goal then AppImage is the solution.
                            Download with the browser.
                            Use Dolphin to set the execute permission bit, the click (or double-click) on the file to cause it to run.
                            Don’t want it any more? Use Dolphin to delete the AppImage. Done.
                            No command line, no additional files to add or remove or autoremove.
                            No loop drives hanging around and eating resources.
                            Nice, neat and clean. Nothing but the app’s AppImage.

AppImages would eliminate the need for 90% of the packages in the repository, leaving only those related to the kernel, the DE and device drivers.
                            AppImages would offload a lot of work KDE devs spend getting app packages to work with KDE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                              If GUI easy is the goal then AppImage is the solution.
                              Download with the browser.
                              Use Dolphin to set the execute permission bit, the click (or double-click) on the file to cause it to run.
                              Don’t want it any more? Use Dolphin to delete the AppImage. Done.
                              No command line, no additional files to add or remove or autoremove.
                              No loop drives hanging around and eating resources.
                              Nice, neat and clean. Nothing but the app’s AppImage.

AppImages would eliminate the need for 90% of the packages in the repository, leaving only those related to the kernel, the DE and device drivers.
                              AppImages would offload a lot of work KDE devs spend getting app packages to work with KDE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Thanks. That is what I'd hoped. However Appimage is more work and knowledge and worry than a deb. Which just installs itself!
                              Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've downloaded say, Etcher, and extracted it. Now I have to put it somewhere, I suppose. I have no idea where all the other applications are? I don't want it getting accidentally deleted from the desktop. Or mixed up with my documents. I don't want to put it among all the system files that need root access. In case it breaks my distro.

So where does it belong?
                              It's easy to give it execute permission. But that's more steps to do. And then, how do I start the program? Normally it's there in the launcher menu. And then months down the line, I want to remove it, how do I do that? Where is it? Do I have loads of appimages? Can I see what I've got?
                              All those steps and questions are covered consistently by the software manager normally. Say for a Discover app, or a ppa or a downloaded .deb. But an appimage is not clear, and requires much more unnecessary memorising.
                              Last edited by ianp5a; Jan 03, 2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

You can have an Appimage anywhere. In the file manager (Dolphin), right click the AppImage file, click properties (bottom option), click the permissions tab and make sure "is executable" is checked. Once that is, double click the appimage file and it will run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	appimage.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	643706

Comment

Working...
                                X