Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could there be a broken Dependancy for Ninja-ide?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could there be a broken Dependancy for Ninja-ide?

I installed Ninja-Ide a simple Python IDE, but when I try starting it from the KDE menu nothing happens. When I start it from the command line, I get the following information which leads me to believe that there is a missing dependency. What would be the fix?

Code:
    mowestusa@HP-G62:~$ ninja-ide 
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/ninja-ide", line 34, in <module>
      ninja_ide.setup_and_run()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ninja_ide/__init__.py", line 71, in setup_and_run
      core.run_ninja()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ninja_ide/core/core.py", line 48, in run_ninja
      from ninja_ide.gui import ide
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ninja_ide/gui/ide.py", line 45, in <module>
      from ninja_ide.core import plugin_services
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ninja_ide/core/plugin_services.py", line 29, in <module>
      from ninja_ide.gui.main_panel import main_container
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ninja_ide/gui/main_panel/main_container.py", line 36, in <module>
      from ninja_ide.gui.main_panel import tab_widget
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ninja_ide/gui/main_panel/tab_widget.py", line 40, in <module>
      from ninja_ide.gui.main_panel import browser_widget
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/ninja_ide/gui/main_panel/browser_widget.py", line 27, in <module>
      from PyQt4.QtWebKit import QWebView
    ImportError: No module named QtWebKit

This older software does not seem to be updated regularly - the package in Ubuntu is 4 years old, and is one of those things automatically ported over from Debian (and is not well tested or fully/officially supported) , and relies on Pyqt4, or rather the package python-qt4 (kde4) which is available in the standard *buntu repos, so that main dep is likely installed. There are possibly other missing bits as well, but as we don't know from where or how you installed ninja-ide, we can't easily say what may be missing or may no longer be available. the ninjs-ide folks have their own package for it, but I don't know how old that is, and their PPA does not have anything for any releases past Saucy.

Actually, looking at the error message:
    Code:
       from PyQt4.QtWebKit import QWebView
    ImportError: No module named QtWebKit
    I find this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...4/+bug/1633819
    Which basically saying that the old, outdated python-qt4 package has had the QtWebkit bits removed due to being outdated and insecure. So there is technically no dependency problem but there is nothing that provides the missing module anymore, without fiddling about with installing some even more ancient package of Python-qt4
    More:
    https://github.com/ninja-ide/ninja-ide/issues/1985

Comment

Also: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1638291

and

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=784615

As stated in the github link from claydoh, the ninja-ide developers need to release a new ported version.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks for the great explanation of why ninja-ide is not working after the install. I would like to learn Python, and I'm a raw beginner. The reason why I tried installing ninja-ide (just by using "sudo apt install..." from the main repos not using a ppa) is because Fedora 26 has a spin specifically for learning and programming in Python, and they chose to install ninja-ide as the primary ide for that Fedora 26 spin, so I assumed that this would be a good ide for learning Python as a beginner. I thought I could mimic what they were doing in that spin with packages from Ubuntu. However, in light of what was mentioned about ninja-ide and its age and lack of support on Kubuntu, I'm open to other suggestions for an ide to use while I learn Python. Any suggests? I know that I could just use Kate, but if there are other programs I should consider I'm open to ideas. Thanks so much for the wonderful help.

Comment

Working...
        X