This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethernet Connection no longer Working

After returning from a 12 day break on which I had my laptop and also installed updates when available, I found that my system no longer connected to the Internet using the Ethernet connection. I can now only connect using the wireless option.

I originally thought that it was a hardware problem, but after trying an Artful installation usb, I found that it could connect the Internet using the Ethernet connection. I also booted up Windows 7 and found that for it, the Ethernet connection also worked.

So it now looks like something in my software is causing the problem. The ifconfig gives
    Code:
    :~$ ifconfig -a | grep eth
         ether 10:bf:48:9c:3e:3e  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
         ether dc:85:de:04:64:6d  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
    and the ls command gives
    Code:
    :~$ sudo ls /sys/class/net
    enp4s0  lo  wlp3s0
    I am wondering if anyone knows what I need to do to resolve this problem?

Unplug your eth cable, Open NetworkManager and delete your wired config. Close NM and plug the cable back in. It should automatically create a new wired config and connect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi
      I just installed Zesty Zaphod Bebblebox and had wired connexion to do the updates and after a shut down, the ethernet went away.

I di ifconfig and got the same kind of information.

As with the Grey Meister I always think that first it is a hardware problem so I plugged and removed the connexion in manager and replugged and no joy.

The internet is working because I have another machine on the telly that has internet connexion.

I tried wireless and can get on the net with wireless in Zaphod but not wired.

Aaahhh welllll lol

woodLOVESnewOS'ssmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

This link might be of interest, Woody. There are several solutions given for similar problems, and links to bug reports:

https://ubuntuforums.org/archive/ind...t-2347827.html
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I decided to do a re-installation as this basically takes me a little over an hour to complete with all the applications, network and driver additions. My system is now working as it should.

My reason for taking this approach was to save time as I had spent some time trying to fix it. Thanks to GreyGeek for the input and I will try that next time it happens to me. Also Woodsmoke, I hope you are able to get your Ethernet working.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Hi
            I just installed Zesty Zaphod Bebblebox and had wired connexion to do the updates and after a shut down, the ethernet went away.>>>>>><<<<<<
            Too many Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters?
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

LOL, ummmmm nope!

But...and I am prolly THE ONLY member who has so LITTLE CLASS as to actually ADMIT THIS!!

Since I'm just a hardware kinda guy, to me the first thing is always check the hardware...

Well, who woulda thunk it...

The ethernet cable went kablooy at exactly the same time as installing Kubu...

So, got another cable out and it works fine!! lol

I'll dig my cat 5 crimper and some clips out and redo the cable.

Still leaves not having a left click mousey though. lol

woodcheckthehardwarefirstsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

The problem is always at the last place you look. The trick is to look at the last place first!

Comment

And another confirmation of the classic hardware mantra: "It's the cable, stupid!"
                  The other day, I had shut down my PC and so had to start it up, got to the Kubuntu log-in, typed my PW and nothing! Wrong PW!? Went insane for awhile and kept repeating what didn't work. Noticed my keyboard lights not on ... keyboard died? Nope, I finally realized it was the Cable Stupid; i.e., the stupid USB keyboard cable had come slightly loose.

Carry on, men!
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

LOL

wooddoesitsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X