X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error During Backup Using Kup

Hi folks,

I have been running my backups for quite a while using the backup function within the system settings. since a few days ago, I get an assertion error, which makes the program stop, so it doesn't store anything or only part of the backup data. The logfile says:

Kup is starting bup backup job at Sonntag, 21. Mai 2017 10:26:55 CEST

bup "-d" "/media/Fritzbox/TOSHIBA-ExternalUSB3-0-01/Sicherung_T3500" "init"
    bup "-d" "/media/Fritzbox/TOSHIBA-ExternalUSB3-0-01/Sicherung_T3500" "fsck" "--quick"
    bup "-d" "/media/Fritzbox/TOSHIBA-ExternalUSB3-0-01/Sicherung_T3500" "index" "-u" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Downloads" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Meine Dokumente" "--exclude" "/home/peter/Downloads" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/drive_c/users/peter/Eigene Bilder" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Eigene Musik" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/drive_c/users/peter/Eigene Musik" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Temp" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Favorites" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.kde/share/config" "--exclude" "/home/peter/Bilder/Fotos/lost+found" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.local/share/kate" "--exclude" "/home/peter/Temp" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.config" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Links" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.cache/routermanager" "--exclude" "/home/peter/Install" "--exclude" "/home/peter/Dropbox" "--exclude" "/home/peter/Spaces" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Recent" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Searches" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/drive_c/users/peter/Favorites" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/drive_c/users/peter/Downloads" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Eigene Videos" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/peter/Eigene Bilder" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.local/lib/vivaldi" "--exclude" "/home/peter/.cache/dconf" "/home/peter" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:"
    bup "-d" "/media/Fritzbox/TOSHIBA-ExternalUSB3-0-01/Sicherung_T3500" "save" "-n" "kup" "/home/peter" "/home/peter/.wine/dosdevices/c:"
    /home/peter/Musik/Videos/CREAM LIVE AT ROYAL ALBERT HALL '05 DISC 1/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/bup/cmd/bup-save", line 392, in <module>
    keep_boundaries=False)
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/hashsplit.py", line 237, in split_to_blob_or_tree
    files, keep_boundaries, progress))
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/hashsplit.py", line 225, in split_to_shalist
    for (sha,size,level) in sl:
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/hashsplit.py", line 179, in split_to_blobs
    sha = makeblob(blob)
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/git.py", line 695, in new_blob
    return self.maybe_write('blob', blob)
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/git.py", line 688, in maybe_write
    self.just_write(sha, type, content)
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/git.py", line 682, in just_write
    self._write(sha, type, content)
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/git.py", line 658, in _write
    self.breakpoint()
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/git.py", line 663, in breakpoint
    id = self._end(self.run_midx)
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/git.py", line 768, in _end
    obj_list_sha = self._write_pack_idx_v2(self.filename + '.idx', idx, packbin)
    File "/usr/lib/bup/bup/git.py", line 809, in _write_pack_idx_v2
    assert(count == self.count)
    AssertionError

Kup did not successfully complete the bup backup job: failed to save everything.

Does anybody know, what I can try to fix the issue?

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by peerwal; May 21, 2017, 07:42 AM.

My guess is it's releated to this line (from the logfile):

/home/peter/Musik/Videos/CREAM LIVE AT ROYAL ALBERT HALL '05 DISC 1/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_4.VOB: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thnaks for your reply and sorry I didn't read the log file carefully. Otherwise I could have seen that line, too.

I excluded this folder, run the backup again anf found another file causing the same error. As the filename also contains a blank, i assume, the blanks are the problem here. I am going to check that.

Comment

Yes, the spaces in the file name are the problem.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried to exclude the files the names of wich contain spaces or single quotes but now it comes up with an error message for a file that has definitely been archived before:

Code:
          /home/peter/Bilder/Fotos/Fujifilm/Kalimantan_2017/Kalimantan_2017_14.tif: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
          as well as the AssertionError at the end of the logfile as before.

Also, what do the statements below
          Code:
          Traceback...
          mean?

Today I tried to generate another backup of only one single file and it gives me the same error message:

Code:
          /home/peter/Videos/erstermai08.mpg: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
          What the heck does kup not like about this video file? There is obviously nothing wrong with the file name. I can open the file with no problem. Could it be the size (1.3 GB)?
          Last edited by peerwal; Jul 06, 2017, 07:34 AM. Reason: Additional information and urging the request

Comment

Obviously, the problem was caused by the Fritz!NAS. Kup does not seem to work with Fritz!NAS anymore. It does not recognize it as an external drive. If I configure it as an internal drive, the problems desccribed above occur. Thanks to everybody for your assistance, anyway.
            Last edited by peerwal; Aug 20, 2017, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X