X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remove PIM apps and Kmail

Hi all

I don't use PIM software and prefer Thunderbird. Can I go ahead and safely remove Kontact and Kmail without this causing any glitches due to system integration?

Originally posted by simonsaysthis View Post
    Hi all

I don't use PIM software and prefer Thunderbird. Can I go ahead and safely remove Kontact and Kmail without this causing any glitches due to system integration?
    Yup. I don't use them either - if you remove all PIM applications you don't need akonadi either.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
      Yup. I don't use them either - if you remove all PIM applications you don't need akonadi either.
      Thanks, will go ahead. Sorry, while I am on a roll, does Dolphin no longer support the "open as root" function for files and folders?

Comment

Thanks, will go ahead. Sorry, while I am on a roll, does Dolphin no longer support the "open as root" function for files and folders?
        In addition to kontact and kmail knotes also uses akonadi.

If open as root is not disabled now for you it will be. Apparently wayland doesn't allow privilege escalation in GUI applications so right now kate and dolphin will no longer run under the root account.

sudoedit is the preferred method for editing files as root but since I have a backup WM installed (I run Neon Unstable so I keep openbox as a backup) I just use pcmanfm and geany for root browsing and editing.
        -- anais nin

Comment

In addition to kontact and kmail knotes also uses akonadi.

If open as root is not disabled now for you it will be. Apparently wayland doesn't allow privilege escalation in GUI applications so right now kate and dolphin will no longer run under the root account.

sudoedit is the preferred method for editing files as root but since I have a backup WM installed (I run Neon Unstable so I keep openbox as a backup) I just use pcmanfm and geany for root browsing and editing.
          Ah, now it makes sense why this option has disappeared. I found a script on the KDE site to add it in but I presume it won't work anymore either. Pitty, for me this was the best feature of Dolphin

Comment

Ah, now it makes sense why this option has disappeared. I found a script on the KDE site to add it in but I presume it won't work anymore either. Pitty, for me this was the best feature of Dolphin
            Yeah, I don't like it but I get it. Running a Qt application as root exposes the entire Qt framework to exploits. I'm on a private network so any exploit would come from within and my PC would already be pwned

Give pcmanfm or krusader a try - both will still run as root. You'll need a text editor installed that's Not Kate, though. I prefer geany for this as it's fairly light and also fairly feature-rich

edit: The open as root option in krusader no longer works either but you can *launch* it as root.
            Last edited by wizard10000; May 02, 2017, 08:26 AM.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Yeah, I don't like it but I get it. Running a Qt application as root exposes the entire Qt framework to exploits. I'm on a private network so any exploit would come from within and my PC would already be pwned

Give pcmanfm or krusader a try - both will still run as root. .
              Awesome thanks

Comment

Working...
              X