X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird Cursor Shadow Image in 17.04

Greetings!
    Upgraded from Kubuntu 16.10 over to 17.04 yesterday and have a most annoying little problem. The cursor icon has a square image underneath it that it (sort of) copied from the last place it hovered over.
    The image can obscure text currently underneath it and makes it difficult to see what is under this cursor shadow. If I start scrolling the cursor image disappears.

I've tied to change cursor back to default Breeze and others but to no avail. I've also tried to change icons without desired effect.
    The cursor shadow image appears in all apps like a 1 by 1 cm square image below cursor. It usually contain either the background or an image of whatever I hovered over prior to making a change like moving the mouse to select something.
    It may be cursor related or Plasma, I don't know. It was not there on 16.10.
    Case in point: If I go up on the menu to select an app, select it; the app fires up and the cursor image is then appearing over the new app with the little square image of what I selected on the menu, obscuring whatever is underneath it. The same event is occuring whenever I hover over something and then move my cursor over to the next item.

My graphics card is a GeForce GTX960M with recommended driver 375.39. The machine is an Asus ZenBook.

Confirmed bug id 1684240.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1684240

Anyone seen any fix to this yet?

Comment

Well...
      Changed driver from Nvidia to Noveau. Syndrome gone with the wind.

Comment

Did you try the 378.13 driver? It is driving my GT650M beautifully!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek, and thanks for the tip!
          I went up to Nvidia to download drivers but could only find the 32-bit version of said driver.
          Is this the driver you used or could it be that it is multi-arch?
          I don't suppose there is a repo other than the Kubuntu for these drivers?

Appreciate your input!

Comment

You don't need or want to use NVidia's downloads. The 378.13 is in the repository. (I don't recall having to add a PPA to get it.

Edit:
            Checked my repository source.list file. Here is the repostiory for the Ubuntu nvidia drivers

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ xenial main
            deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ xenial main

You'll need the following
            nvidia-378
            libcuda1-378
            libxnvvctl0
            nvidia-oopencl-icd-378
            nvidia-settings
            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 04, 2017, 09:42 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you for that!
              I tried the 378.13 as well as the 381.09 (I'm on Zesty) after I installed the PPA but to no avail. The image is still there so I returned to Noveau. Too bad since the Nvidia drivers looked a tad better.
              Thanks for your help, though!

Comment

Working...
              X