This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video not working after upgrade

Vlc, SMplayer and Kaffeine show no video, only audio - where's Kodi and Xine play videos as before the upgrade. Have tried reinstalling all vlc* and installed as many codecs as I can remember incl kubuntu-restricted-extras - but no luck.

Vlc in terminal shows: vdpau_display error: decoder profile not supported: 7
    Video card GT 210-1, Gallium 0.4 on NVA8 3.0 Mesa 17.0.3

Upgraded from 16.10 - is that the main reason for this problem?

make sure you have "vdpau-driver-all" installed first are you using the nvidia driver or the open source one .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks vinnywright! Am using the open source driver, and I do have vdpau-driver-all installed. What am I supposed to do next??

Comment

Originally posted by hallergard View Post
        Thanks vinnywright! Am using the open source driver, and I do have vdpau-driver-all installed. What am I supposed to do next??
        Strange ,,,VLC uses it's own codecs and SMplayer uses mencoder xine and kodi use ffmpeg and/or avconv.

I have had before the compositor setting do a similar thing , system settings>display and monitor>compositor , and try different "rendering backend's" just to see .

and or install the nvidia driver and see if it helps.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Don't think it's a codecs issue, more likely display. After previous experience with proprietary drivers I'd rather first try your suggestions about display, compositor and rendering backends.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can likely change the "Hardware accelerated decoding option" in VLC to something that works.

I use the main propriety Nvida drivers, so my memory on getting vdpau itself working with nouveau is limited, but I guess you probably need to have mesa-vdpau-drivers installed

+ maybe https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/ although not sure how up to date that is now.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Have changed the Compositor's Rendering backend from Xrender to OpenGL3.1 and VLC Output Modules from Automatic to Open GLX video output (XCB), and now VLC works! Also SMPlayer works, but not Kaffeine.

Comment

The mesa-vdpau-drivers were already installed, thanks

Comment

nouveau-firmware was not installed, so I did install it. Still no libvdpau_nouveau.so present - but not sure pursuing that would solve the remaining problem with Kaffeine (which I only use occasionally to watch TV on the PC).

for SMplayer I also changed the Ouput driver from xv to vdpau. Will mark the thread as solved even though Kaffeine is not quite there.

Comment

Working...
                  X