This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since kubuntu install, can't boot other other Linux Distro

Since I installed kubuntu 17.04, I cannot boot into the other Linux Distro without an error about filenames that are on the partition. I need to get in there to find snapshots of a file (the other Distro uses a program called snapper. I do not know if and how that can be used in kubuntu). Is there boot manager program for kubuntu? Last resort would be to do an "upgrade" from the other Linux Distro which always seems to cure booting issues.

Cliff

you should not need to boot the "other distro" just to get files off it ,,,,,,,,,just open dolphin and click on the partition the other distro is on and search away ,,,,,,,, if it's labeled you should see the label name ,,,or xxGB drive...that is unless the drive is encrypted

the exact error messages may be helpful.

VinnY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      you should not need to boot the "other distro" just to get files off it ,,,,,,,,,just open dolphin and click on the partition the other distro is on and search away ,,,,,,,, if it's labeled you should see the label name ,,,or xxGB drive...that is unless the drive is encrypted

the exact error messages may be helpful.

VinnY
      The error is that is says it cannot find /boot/initrd-4.10.9-1-default and /boot/vmlinuz-4.10.9-1-default, but they are. I could try to change kubuntu to the symlinks, initrd and vmlinuz, but they point the the same files anyway. Good Point about Dolphin, if the particular files are readable, but the are in the .snapshot directories, which seems to be, like hardlink (unless they are different from the file that was originally backed up).

Comment

Good News! I found an old backup from last year that has the files in it I needed to recover (the files themselves are older than last year anyway). Yay!

Comment

run,,,,,
          Code:
          sudo update-grub
          it should find and fix the boot entry for you ,,,,,unless the other distro (what is it anyway,,,we do not care @hear you wont get baned) ,,, is on a btrfs file system ,,,grubs OS prober dose not do btrfs,,,,yet.

lets look at it ,,,,,open dolphin click on the drive press F4 and a terminal should open in the bottom of the window in the current directory type
          Code:
          ls -la
          and hit enter copy and paste the output hear in code tags .

then click on /boot ,the terminal will follow you , and do the ls -la again and past it hear as well .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X