Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried to set Cinnamon flavor Decktop and will not boot.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried to set Cinnamon flavor Decktop and will not boot.

Using Kubuntu 17.04 and went t0 Systems/Applications/GnomeApplication Style (GTK). Tried to set Fallback Theme Gnome to drop down cinnamon.
    Got this error \-------------------------------------------
    Xsessions: unable to launch "cinnamon-sessions-cinnamon" Xsession
    "cinnamon-session-cinnamon" not found Falling back to default session
    OKAY
    ---------------------------------------
    Hit okay and it c loses. Will not re-boot.
    Dick Barmann

Sounds like you didn't have those desktops installed and part way through the attempt your display server got changed.
    When you say "Will not re-boot", exactly where does the failure occur? Before you get to the grub menu, the login screen or when the desktop tries to load?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

When I go to Kubuntu17.04 in Grub and I click on it I get the error message I show above.When I click on the OKAY I get a blank screen and I have to turn the PC off at the start button.If I go to Grub and pick the Kubuntu 17.04 it goes to the error message again.
      I have Kubuntu17.04/ and Kubuntu 16.10/ and ubuntu 16.10 / and Windows 8 in grub.
      Last edited by reb81; Mar 04, 2017, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a bad grub install/update. I'd try one of the grub recovery CD's.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

On closer inspection I get to the 17.04 splash screen that has 3 different sized dots and a > in the center. Should I still try the Grub disk (which I have)? or go in another direction.
          Thank you.

Comment

No. You are booting OK, but it appears that your video driver isn't working.
            Boot into root using the recovery mode and then log into your home account. Then, issue startx or startkde and note what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went to the recovery mode/root and entered startx after the file finished I had:
              -----------------------
              unable to connect to xserver; connection refused
              server error
              error in locking authority file /root/.xauthority
              -----------------------------
              Last edited by reb81; Mar 07, 2017, 11:05 AM.

Comment

When you log into root in the recovery mode the file system is read only by design, to avoid noobs from doing damage.
                Once you get the prompt you can browse all day long using a file system browser like Midnight Commander, a.k.a. "mc".
                But, to enable the ability to make changes you must remount the file system:
                mount -o remount,rw /

AFTER doing that DON'T run startx (or startkde) as root! Change to your account!
                sudo <youraccountname>
                then enter your password.
                Make sure you are in your home directory by using "ls" or 'vdir". If not then use cd to change to it: cd /home/youraccountname
                THEN run
                startx (or startkde)
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 07, 2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

I followed your instructions in your last post. Then I went to "dpkg" in the recovery mode. after some file action I see that there are 38 files that could/shouldl be removed. I selected yes and as the files were removed I saw that cinnamon was among them. then it opened up with the normal window that requires a password. After that it opened normally. It now is normal. Thank you for the help and advice.
                  I still would like to set up some windows desktop flavors like Gnome/Mate/ etc. I will wait until I learn how to do it correctly or not do it at all. Thanks again.I am 84 but not to old to learn. Should I mark it resolved or will you.

Comment

Originally posted by reb81 View Post
                    ... It now is normal. Thank you for the help and advice.
                    You're welcome!

I still would like to set up some windows desktop flavors like Gnome/Mate/ etc. I will wait until I learn how to do it correctly or not do it at all. Thanks again.I am 84 but not to old to learn. Should I mark it resolved or will you.
                    You have me beat! I'm "only" 75, but I've been using Linux for 19 years. We're never too old to learn new tricks! The nice thing is that all tricks seem new, even if I used to know how to do them but forgot, which happens a lot lately!

Comment

Should I mark it resolved or will you.
                      You started this thread, so if you are satisfied and want to mark it SOLVED, go ahead.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        You started this thread, so if you are satisfied and want to mark it SOLVED, go ahead.
                        Ah, that was one thing I forgot to mention to you, reb81 (My phenomenal memory at work again! )

Comment

Do I just post RESOLVED or is there another way.
                          Last edited by reb81; Mar 07, 2017, 09:39 PM. Reason: Spell Check

Comment

Click on Thread Tools and you'll see it.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                            X