This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Areas Needing Improvement

The developers have made significant improvements to Zesty since I first started using it. However, since it is now at Alpha 2, I would like some of the following to fixed.

When I click on the Title Bar, the application goes to full screen. This happens the first time I do it, but on most occasions it then behaves as it should and I can drag the window.

If I try to run Korganizer I get the following response.
    Code:
    :~$ korganizer
    org.kde.pim.kidentitymanagement: IdentityManager: There was no default identity. Marking first one as default.
    korganizer: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libKF5AkonadiCalendar.so.5: undefined symbol:
    Kontact fails to be installed with the following response.
    Code:
    :~$ sudo apt install kontact
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    kontact : Depends: libkf5grantleetheme5 (>= 15.12.0) but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: akregator but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: kaddressbook but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: kmail but it is not going to be installed
           Recommends: korganizer but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    This is not a very long list as all the other application that I use work successfully. Not bad for an Alpha 2.

I decided to do a fresh install of Zesty and found the Kontact is now installed and works. All applications except Konsole can be dragged without jumping to full screen. I commented on this problem above. (BTW, I have Zesty install as a single operating system on a Compaq Presario AIO CQ1-2010AN)

The main problem that makes Zesty difficult to use is the old problem that I encountered with screen refresh. Exiting a task leaves the image on the screen. The way I overcome this is to switch to another virtual desktop and back again.

Comment

Have you any of the staging PPA's enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by clivejo View Post
        Have you any of the staging PPA's enabled?
        No, I didn't have it enabled. I have tried both backports and canonical ppa but neither of those worked, ie good old 404.

I have now added the staging ppa, ie
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-x/x-staging
        and this works great. Thanks very much for letting me know about this.

Comment

I just tried an alternative ppa, ie:
          Code:
          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-frameworks
          and this made no difference.

Is Zesty now starting to wean itself off using canonical?

When I did my initial installation of Beta 1, I could install Skype without using canonical. Also, I have now found that the canonical ppa works now.
          Last edited by NoWorries; Mar 07, 2017, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Application title bar outside screen space

I decided to install Zesty on my Wife's Laptop which has an external screen. When she was using it, the LibreOffice document that she opened came up on the Laptop screen with the title bar off screen. I decided to try the More Actions > Resize option. This only allowed the bottom of the LibreOffice window to be changed. Off course, there is always the move option to shift it onto the larger screen. It would be preferable for the Resize to change the title bar so that more actions can be made to both easily shift, scale and exit the application.

A far better and more user friendly approach to deal with this "feature" would be, when launching an application, to always fit it into the window space.

Comment

Login Face

As part of the installation on my Wife's Laptop, my face was on the Login screen. Previously, it was possible to go to System Settings > Startup and Shutdown to change the Login face. This is no longer possible!!!

After much searching, I found that the Home directory has the files .face and .face.icon. I copied my Wife's photo onto .face and the .face.icon was automatically created.

Once again in the interests of a user friendly interface, it would be preferable for a user to easily define whatever face was desired rather than fishing around for the .face file.

Comment

Working...
              X