This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 17.04

I am using Kubuntu 17.04 since about a week and I am completely happy (it was not possible to reach that very positive result with the stable version 16.04 and 16.10 on my computer DELL XPS 1502X with intel 64 bit CPU + chips...).

Installations mode: net install out 64 bit mini ISO, and, in tasksel only the premarkt option plus the option "kde full" until reboot.

after reboot, and after starting Xorg (see next paragraph):

installation of Konqueror (as well as Seamonkey 2.40 (Mozilla build of Seamonkey)), remove from Firefox and installation of Calligra complete suite as I not understand why Kubuntu proposes a full KDE being a amputate suite KDE! Firefox and LibreOffice don't belong really to KDE at all, and it is certainly a great deception and ruthlessness rapting of energy to work with enthusiasm for the real KDE developers if nobody tests their development...

the installation did not start immediately. although the preinstallation of full KDE, no X-mode did work

so I did try in console mode:

Code:
    startx
    nothing to do... the error message was to install xinit!

and it was not possible to read the boot messages before the login appears where eventually messages concerning display manager and X-manager where perhaps present...

FIRST QUESTION:

Are those messages yet present in the computer after login and where can I read them?

Also did I try to install xinit.

apt did require the installation of Xorg ...

Oh, that was the cause of my deception since 1 year in 16.04 and 16.10: Ubuntu did convert Kubuntu to Wayland ... And that work bad on certain computers! Bravo Ubuntu

SECOND QUESTION:

Is that the reality?

After xorg were installed, no problem to start in console mode and it is very better for me (I find terrible, that KDE installs so, that the user has no choice how he will login. Login in console mode is a lot better because I have not to entry into KDE and loose so terribly much time, only if I will a short maintenance intervention being absolutely as well possible in console mode...): a "startx" does it and I can with a

Code:
    ln -s /usr/bin/startx /usr/bin/go
    (or a single char other shortcut) make the startx entry more short so that it is absolutely not an inconvenient any more!

KDE starts willing. If I logout or reboot, the usual display manager opens willing (as well as if I abandon the PC for a long pause). This setting is probably not wished by the system programmers of KDE but a lot better for the user as the conventional access mode to KDE.

So I am afraid, until 17.04 become stable the probably error will probably be corrected and not be permitted any more! An upgrade will probably erase my precious setting

I think about:

THIRD QUESTION:

Can I mark some package so that they would never be upgrade?

FOURTH QUESTION:

And how to mark that I don't want to change a manually installed package (why? I love Xombrero as it react exactly like a Mozilla one would react, but is concepted as really secure browser. For 15.10 or 16.04, Lubuntu did publish a special version of Xombrero working better as the official one from Ubuntu . Why? I don't known! That is so...)

Kind regards
Working...
X