This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange behaviour after an update today

Hello. I ran an update today and since the update have been noticing some strange behaviour.
    I am running kubuntu 16.04.
    Since todays update I notice that menu items are not available in Okular. That is - (File, edit, View, ...) the menus headings are visible and get highligted when clicked, but the drop down list does not appear.
    I also notice that Yakuake has become invisible. If I press F12 to activate Yakuake, any window that I am currently working on will lose focus, but Yakuake does not appear, so it looks like it is running, but not visible.
    Here is what I see if I run Okular from terminal -

QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/paul/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

And for Yakuake -

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

Please let me know if there is any other helpful information I can provide to help diagnose this problem.

When I open okular from a terminal it runs beautifully. I don't have Yakuake or ibus installed. Have you tried a different DE theme?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I am experiencing the same problem since the update to 16.04 last week (approx 6 July). In addition to Okular, I am having similar menu problems with Kmymoney.
      Kmymoney also no longer responds to right-clicks.
      The update also changed the colour of the task bar to an ugly dark grey.
      The update included firefox version 61 (if that helps pin down the date) with additional annoyances.

Comment

I'm getting similar problems with Firefox (FF), since an update a few days ago - everything from the Awesome Bar (AB), and to the right of it (bookmarks' button, add-ons, menu button) has stopped working properly; the buttons grey out, signifying that they have been clicked, but nothing appears. Everything to the left of the AB (Home button etc.) works normally.

I'm also getting the darker grey task bar, after some boots.

FYI, the update that seemed to cause these problems, for me, was made earlier on the same day as there was an update to FF (to version 61); this FF update did not solve the problems, nor has a subsequent update to 61.0.1.
        Last edited by Caldon; Jul 11, 2018, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Running 16.04.4 (64 bit) here. No problems with any menus on Okular (0.24.2) or FF (61.0.1). Have you done a reboot since the updates?
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

To those who have posted in this thread with the stated problems: HOW did/are you performing your 'updates'? Try opening a konsole and issuing these commands:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            Report any errors you might get, otherwise, when completed, exit the konsole, logout and reboot.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I normally use Muon, and have done a number of reboots in recent days.

I followed Snowhog's instructions, found 8 updates, which were duly installed, and a small number of linux headers/images which were 'automatically installed but no longer required', so followed the instruction to remove them (I think it said 'sudo apt-get autoremove'?), closed Konsole, and rebooted - unfortunately, no change, problems remain.

Comment

FYI, I've just tried Okular, and yes, same problems there, too.

Comment

To add to my initial report, I am also experiencing the same problem as Caldon with Firefox, as well as the Okular and Yakuake problems. Cairo dock is also running but not visible.
                  I have done updates via the terminal as suggested above with apt update and apt upgrade, (I did not use dist-upgrade). I have also rebooted more than once since the problems began. Also tried booting into an older kernel version, but the problems remained. Also tried creating a new user to see if the problems occurred in a new user account and the problems are also there.
                  Can anyone suggest what else can be done to identify the problems?
                  I have not tried to use a different DE theme as suggested by GreyGeek. Are you suggesting trying something other than KDE as DE or just a change of theme from within KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by pguilaume View Post
                    I have done updates via the terminal as suggested above with apt update and apt upgrade, (I did not use dist-upgrade).
                    There is a BIG difference between running apt upgrade and apt full-upgrade (dist-upgrade is used with apt-get). Open a konsole and run sudo apt update then sudo apt full-upgrade
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Tried the full-upgrade, and several updates were made, but after a reboot, the problems are still there. So far I have noticed -
                      Okular - Menus don't respond to mouse clicks and don't show the dropdown list.
                      Yakuake - Runs and seems to be "there but invisible" when i hit F12. Other open windows lose focus and mouse pointer becomes a cursor. If I type in a command, it is executed (tried typing firefox, and the browser opened up, so Yakuake is indeed there but invisible.
                      Firefox - Menu button unresponsive
                      Cairo dock - Runs but is invisible. If I click in the area where it should be, applications that are on the dock are opening. I just cant see what i'm clicking on.
                      Apart from that everything else seems to be OK. I will report if I discover any other problems.
                      Thanks Snowhog for the tip about the full-upgrade. 10 years using Kubuntu everyday and still learning!

Comment

I see that we still don't know much about your installation.
                        Go to the following site and install inxi. Run it with the "-F" option and post the output in a code block.
                        https://smxi.org/docs/inxi.htm

EDIT:
                        Simple install:
                        sudo -i
                        cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi
                        exit

Then:
                        inxi -F > inxi_output.txt

Post inxi_output.txt in a code block in your next post.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 11, 2018, 02:35 PM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Here it is, I'm not sure how to put it in a code block. Pasting directly below. Let me know if I need to do it another way. -

System:  Host: paul-Aspire-5749 Kernel: 4.4.0-130-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
                            Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.9 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
                          Machine:  System: Acer product: Aspire 5749 v: V1.08
                            Mobo: Acer model: HMA51_HR Bios: INSYDE v: V1.08 date: 11/29/2011
                          CPU:  Dual core Intel Core i3-2350M (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
                            clock speeds: max: 2300 MHz 1: 1012 MHz 2: 1001 MHz 3: 1000 MHz 4: 1098 MHz
                          Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
                            Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
                            Resolution: 1366x768@60.01hz
                            GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
                          Audio:  Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
                            driver: snd_hda_intel
                            Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-130-generic
                          Network:  Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet driver: atl1c
                            IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 04:7d:7b:25:5d:64
                            Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
                            IF: wlp7s0 state: up mac: 7c:e9:d3:01:c8:ec
                          Drives:  HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (63.5% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST9500325AS size: 500.1GB
                          Partition: ID-1: / size: 28G used: 15G (57%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
                            ID-2: /home size: 317G used: 219G (73%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda7
                            ID-3: swap-1 size: 2.01GB used: 0.08GB (4%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
                          RAID:  No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
                          Sensors:  System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0C mobo: N/A
                            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
                          Info:  Processes: 246 Uptime: 1:17 Memory: 2387.0/3804.5MB
                            Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 

Comment

I'm also having the same problems on a 2011 Macbook pro at home. I can send the information on that one later if it will help.

Comment

Originally posted by pguilaume View Post
                              Here it is, I'm not sure how to put it in a code block. Pasting directly below. Let me know if I need to do it another way. -

[1;34mSystem: [0;37m [1;34mHost:[0;37m paul-Aspire-5749 [1;34mKernel:[0;37m 4.4.0-130-generic x86_64 (64 bit)[0;37m
                              [1;34m [0;37m [1;34mClient:[0;37m Shell (bash) [1;34minxi:[0;37m 2.2.35[0;37m [0;37m
                              [0m
                              Sorry, my fault. That output is what goes to the screen. To get a nice textual output one has to include "--output-file"
                              So, consulting the man pages instead of my faulty memory, the correct syntax is:
                              sudo inxi -Fxxxzv8 --output-file inxi_ouput.txt

For your own personal use you can replace "z" with "Z" and your serial numbers and mac addresses will be included.

A code block pair is placed on the screen where the cursor is when you click the "# button at the top of the editor, or, you can use the keyboard to enter a left sq bracket "code" right sq bracket your textual stuff left sq bracket forward slash "code" right sq bracket.
                              Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 11, 2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X