X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erasing a Linux live key

Hello everyone,

Around the beginning of this year I ran into trouble while trying to extend my linux partition and people of this forum kindly guided me toward a solution (see this topic: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...rtition-s-size ). To install a new version of Kubuntu (because the original got fried) I created a live key using
    Code:
     sudo dd if=/home/aritz/Downloads/kubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=16M
    but now I would like to turn it into a ``normal USB key" again, in order to be able to use it to move files from one computer to another. Could anyone indicated me how to do it, or where I could find a tutorial please? I'm using Kubuntu 16.4.
    Also I would like to build another live usb key but on a smaller key. Am I correct to believe that if the .iso file weights 1.5 GB, a 2GB USB key should be enough? Or should I keep some memory in reserve which will be used later?

Thanks a lot!

If you haven't installed partitionmanager then install it:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt install partitionmanager

After installation it will be in the System menu as "Partition Editor".
    Insert the USB stick in the USB port
    Run Partition Editor.
    All of your visible drives will be loaded.
    Locate the USB drive.
    Right mouse on it in the right panel. There may be one or more partitions, but right mouse on the name of the USB stick (in dark bold print) and choose "New". This will create a new partition. Select the file system you want to format it with. Put a name in the label text box. Left click the "Apply" world in the tool menu.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

in Kubuntu, you can use the Partition Manager to format the stick to fat32.

Just type "partition" in the Kmenu.

2gb is fine. Using dd to make the bootable stick, you don't gain anything using a larger one.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

GParted works well too.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Thank you all for your great answers.

After having inserted my USB stick I ran KDE partition manager. I right clicked on the bold text on the right panel, corresponding to the USB key, I selected ``New partition Table" (that was the only option with ``New" inside", but then I'm asked what type of partition table I want to create and I have the choice between ``GPT" or ``MS-Dos", and I have no idea what to choose.

Here is a print-screen of this window:

Click image for larger version

Name:	type_partition_table.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	643880

Could someone please tell me what to choose?

Comment

GPT is the new type, but for a simple data USB, I simply use the good ol' MS-DOS partition table. And I format mine FAT32 (but others here may have a different opinion on the format-filesystem). I use my data USBs for documents, photos, videos, etc. (If you were putting operating systems and such on the USB, then perhaps you might want to use GPT, and even then, maybe not.)
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! I managed to change this key back to a ``normal" USB key with your help. I really appreciate!

Have a nice week!

Comment

I do what Qqmike does because I sometimes share files with friends and family who are not running Linux but all of the other OS's recognize FAT32. I also set the boot flag on it
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

What is a boot flag, if I may ask?

Comment

It's an option that is available when you click the "Properties" button at the bottom of the partition manager GUI when you have the format dialog open. It is not needed in Linux because Grub controls the boot. But, some BIOS's (Intel mainly) won't see a USB stick during boot if its boot flag is not set. And if, like me, you want your USB stick to be bootable/see-able on a Windows box then you MUST set the boot flag.

It can be set from the command line using
                    sudo sfdisk -A2 /dev/sda

if a partition manager isn't immediately available.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 14, 2018, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your explanation GreyGeek!

Indeed, I would like to be able to use it also with a Windows OS. I used KDE partition manager and ticked the box for flags as can be seen here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	flag_usb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	643886

I will make a test to see if Windows recognizes it. The only thing I fear is the 37 billions updates I will have to do when I will boot Windows again.

Comment

Thank you for your answer GreyGeek. I tried to plug my key when using Windows and it worked!

Have a nice weekend!

Comment

Working...
                        X