X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Login screen - only black, after update today

Ref: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...r-update-today

Same problem here using 16.04 LTS after I got several libkf5* packages updated on tuesday. (No major upgrade or distupgrade). Not using virtualization.

After a reboot SDDM login screen is black.
    Change to other terminal via alt-f2. Create fresh user. Login as this user and run startx.
    Shows black screen. Mouse pointeris active and can be moved. Kaccessibleapp can be opened in the top left corner. Krunner does not work/Show up.
    Xorg log does not contain errors. Seems to be a kwin_x11 or Plasmashell Problem?
    Any pointers how to further debug this issue very appreciated.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 04, 2018, 09:15 AM.

Originally posted by frisi View Post
    Same problem here using 16.04 LTS after I got several libkf5* packages updated on tuesday. (No major upgrade or distupgrade). Not using virtualization.
    Please look in /var/log/dpkg.log to see if you can work out what was updated.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
      Please look in /var/log/dpkg.log to see if you can work out what was updated.
      Sure. Unfortunately IÂ’m writing this from my mobile since my only laptop is not usable.
      So I canÂ’t copy paste the output of hero. (I skip previous and new version in this listing)

Chromium
      Zsh
      Libssl
      Libiuc-dev
      Pciutils
      Libpci3
      Lshw
      OpenSSL
      Kdepim-doc
      Akregator
      Knotes
      Libkf5noteshared
      Ktnef
      Accountwizard
      Akonadiconsole
      Kmail
      Korganizer
      Libkf5*...
      ...mailcommon
      Messagecomposer
      Templateparser
      Messageviewer
      Ksieveui
      Pimcommon
      Mailimporter
      Incidenceefitorsng
      Event views
      Libkdepim
      Gravatar
      Libkleo
      Kdgantt
      Calendar support
      Kdepimdbusinterfaces
      Messagecore
      Sendlater
      Followupreminder
      Ksieve
      Kmanagesieve
      ...End libkf5*

Kontact
      Kaddressbook
      Firefox
      Libtiff
      Openjdk
      Thunderbird
      Xul ext
      Virtualbox qt dkms amd64 guest
      Libvorbis

These are the packages that got updated and broke my login screen and kde desktops.

I waited until today if any updates are available that could possibly fix my issue.
      As there were none available i activated kubuntu backports and upgraded my system to the programs and libraries contained in the backports repos.
      Still the same issue.

In the afternoon a kernel update was available. Installing it did not help either.

I can easily search for certain errors warnings in xorg xsession (you name it) logfile but I have no idea how I could paste the complete logfile

Thanks for your help!

Comment

There are plenty of updates in there which have not received updates via the 16.04 repositories either recently, or at all since 16.04 release.

Therefore, despite you claiming the opposite, you must have some 3rd party repository providing broken updates. That could be Neon, or something else.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          There are plenty of updates in there which have not received updates via the 16.04 repositories either recently, or at all since 16.04 release.

Therefore, despite you claiming the opposite, you must have some 3rd party repository providing broken updates. That could be Neon, or something else.
          My bad.
          Here is what I considered “nothing fancy”

From
          At.archive.ubuntu.com
          And
          Security.ubuntu.com
          The following:
          Xenial main restricted universe multiverse
          Xenial-updates universe multiverse
          Xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse
          Xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse

Archive.Canonical.com xenial partner
          (Only Skype, oracles java)

Additional
          Google chrome stable.

And since today also
          Kubuntu ppa backports.

Which package do you think could be the show stopper in the above dpkg log?

Most (if not all) of the kde packages should have got updated with the activation of backports today.

Any hints on what to look for in which logfile or what to install to help debug the issue?

Comment

Just searched packages.ubuntu.com for
            Libkf5gravatar and found the update came from xenial-updates

Comment

Is this bug report maybe applicable? See replies #23 and #24
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Is this bug report maybe applicable? See replies #23 and #24
                thanks for your hint @Snowhog. sddm starts up fine (/var/lib/sddm exists and has config/cache etc in it - actually i renamed .cache to be sure it does not contain malicious data), but it simply shows a black screen.

the same problem for a kde session started with "startx" from console for existing/fresh users.

Comment

Working...
                X