This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update FF but only to a point?

I don't know if this is possible but this is what I'd like to do...

I currently am running Firefox 45 but being pretty old it is having troubles doing some things.
    I have found and downloaded FF 53 in a tar file.

Is it possible to update but only to FF 53?
    Is there a terminal command (etc) that will install 53 but not go any further?

The point is that I don't want FF 57 or 58 or whatever it is up to by now.

So can I do what I want?

I also have Vivaldi installed but it's not really everything I want.
    I am trying QupZilla.
    Greg
    W9WD

You can download whatever version of firefox you like from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Comment

Yep and I did download 53 from that site.
      It's how to install it without installing anything beyond 53 that I am concerned with.

Obviously I don't know much about installation techniques and limitations.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

See PinningHowto
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok, download the version you want. Extract it into your home folder. Disconnect your internet. Open firefox by clicking on it in the folder you extracted to. Hit the hamburger/three line menu and the open preferences. Click advanced section and then update tab, set it to never check for updates. Then reconnect your internet. Voila.

Comment

GregM
            Not knowing exactly what features you want or don't want, let me suggest Palemoon as a browser choice.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              I've heard of "pinning" and had planned to ask about that.
              Can I assume that if I give it the magic words that I can update the rest of my "apps" with out worrying that FF will update it self to something I don't want...forever?
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                Ok, download the version you want. Extract it into your home folder. Disconnect your internet. Open firefox by clicking on it in the folder you extracted to. Hit the hamburger/three line menu and the open preferences. Click advanced section and then update tab, set it to never check for updates. Then reconnect your internet. Voila.
                I'll try it
                Thanks!
                Greg
                W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  GregM
                  Not knowing exactly what features you want or don't want, let me suggest Palemoon as a browser choice.
                  I'll try it
                  Thanks
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                    I've heard of "pinning" and had planned to ask about that.
                    Can I assume that if I give it the magic words that I can update the rest of my "apps" with out worrying that FF will update it self to something I don't want...forever?
                    When an app is 'pinned', it will never be upgraded to a newer version until it is unpinned. But, I don't think that an update to the existing version won't happen, i.e., a feature or function in the same version occurs, but the version numbering doesn't change.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think I don't care about updating. What I don't want to happen is like when FF took it upon itself to upgrade my version 55 to 57.
                      Pinning sounds perfect.
                      Greg
                      W9WD

Comment

Pinning will work for software installed from the repos or from ppas. It will not work on software downloaded by extracting from tars etc.
                        Last edited by chimak111; Mar 01, 2018, 07:54 PM.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

So just to be clear
                          If I install 53 from the downloaded file from the archives can I pin that so it will not update to 54 or 55?
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
                            Hey it worked!
                            I downloaded Version 55 and it did just as you said.
                            Only fiddling I had to do was to get the launcher to launch version 55 and not 45.
                            Fixed now.

Now I just have to learn about pinning.
                            Many thanks
                            Greg
                            W9WD

Comment

Working...
                            X