This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KUP Backup Errno 22 Invalid Argument Failed to Index Everything

I'm new to Kubuntu. I installed KUP to backup my laptop and it errored on the first run. Here is the beginning and end of the log file:
    Kup is starting bup backup job at วันเสาร์ที่ 9 กันยายน 2017 15 นาฬิกา 15 นาที 09 วินาที ICT

bup "-d" "/media/geoffrey/J Back Up/Toshiba Versioned Kup" "init"
    bup "-d" "/media/geoffrey/J Back Up/Toshiba Versioned Kup" "fsck" "--quick"
    bup "-d" "/media/geoffrey/J Back Up/Toshiba Versioned Kup" "index" "-u" "--exclude" "/home/geoffrey/.cache" "--exclude" "/home/geoffrey/.local/share/Trash" "--exclude" "/home/geoffrey/Music" "--exclude" "/home/geoffrey/Videos" "/home/geoffrey" "/media/geoffrey/Bldg" "/media/geoffrey/Gallery" "/media/geoffrey/MyDocs" "/media/geoffrey/Tech" "/media/geoffrey/Web/uploads"
    [Errno 22] Invalid argument:
    '/media/geoffrey/Web/uploads/logs/W3SVC41042044/ex090316.log'
    [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/media/geoffrey/Web/uploads/logs/W3SVC41042044/ex090315.log'
    [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/media/geoffrey/Bldg/$RECYCLE.BIN/'
    [Errno 22] Invalid argument: '/media/geoffrey/Bldg/'
    WARNING: 78357 errors encountered.

Kup did not successfully complete the bup backup job: failed to index everything.

I checked with df and all the drives are mounted. Could this have to do with file/directory permissions/ownership? These are NTFS logical drives created in Win7. This is the only thread on the forum that has something to do with my problem:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...p+failed+index
    Thanks!

How are you running/executing KUP?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have it configured to manual (configuration is accessible through launcher>system>system settings). To run KUP, I click on the status bar/tray icon.

Comment

What it sounds like is happening, is that KUP is attempting to backup system directories/files; directories/files that aren't owned by you, the user. Open a konsole and execute the application prefaced by sudo:

kdesudo nameofprogram

Comment

sudo kup returns: "command not found"
          sudo kup-filedigger returns: "You must supply the path to a bup or git repository that you wish to open for viewing."
          Where might I find these files?
          https://www.linux-apps.com/content/s...content=147465
          says,
          "What the Kup backup system consists of
          [li]Configuration module, available in your system settings. Here you can configure backup plans, what to include, where to store the backup and how often. You can also see the status for the backup plans here.[/li]
          [li]A small program running in the background. It will monitor to see when your backup destination is available, schedule and run your backup plans. It has a system tray icon that shows up when a backup is long overdue.[/li]
          [li]Kioslave for accessing bup archives. This allows you to open files and folders directly from an archive, with any KDE application.[/li]
          [li]A file browsing application for bup archives, allowing you to locate the file you want to restore more easily than with the kioslave. It presents a merged view: inside each saved folder you can see all the files it ever contained (well, that has been backed up at least). Select a file and you can see which different versions of this file that exists in the bup archive. You can open and view the files from here and it also helps you restore files or folders. [/li]"
          I think that kup-filedigger is for looking at the actual backup files, not for running the program.

This thread talks about running kup a little: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=122460

Comment

The comments section of this:

https://www.linux-apps.com/hive/show...#ratings-panel

has some information.
            sudo kupdaemon returns, "command not found"
            sudo kquitapp kupdaemon returns, "Application kupdaemon could not be found using service org.kde.kupdaemon and path /MainApplication."

Comment

I found kup-daemon in root\usr\bin
              sudo kup-daemon executes and returns:

XSync seems available and ready
              XSync Inited
              Supported, init completed
              Created alarm 121634817
              ""Last complete backup" - conversion of "0,0,0,-1,-1,-1" to QDateTime failed"

It doesn't run my configured backup and doesn't pull up the gui dialog box. I'll need to dig some more to figure out how to do that. I haven't found any solution yet. I appreciate the direction and can use some more. Thank you.
              Last edited by holy-harp; Sep 10, 2017, 08:38 PM. Reason: Make sure viewers now that this is not yet solved.

Comment

You might to post your quesitons about this at https://store.kde.org/hive/show/content/147465/page/2, as it appears the developer is there and answers questions. Just a thought.

Comment

Thanks Snowhog. I posted in this forum because there was already one post about this software here. I'll follow your suggestion and post on the other forum.

Just to add some content to this thread that might be useful to someone else:
                  kdesudo kup-daemon returns:
                  "Kup is not enabled, enable it from the system settings module. You can do that by running kcmshell5 kup"
                  kcmshell5 kup returns:
                  The configuration dialog box and:

kdesudo kcmshell4 kup: returns:
                  Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
                  QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                  QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                  kbuildsycoca4 running...
                  Could not find module 'kup'. See kcmshell4 --list for the full list of modules.

Thanks again, Geoffrey

Comment

Working...
                  X