Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this server plugged into some thing that serves Internet ,,,router,modem ...?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, it is. OMG, are we already at the point to check for stupid things? I'm asking in jest -- not trying to be a smart-ass. I remember a company I worked for had a big Xerox printer go inop for no apparent reason. After two days, the tech showed up and after troubleshooting for 5 minutes found the power plug disconnected from the power outlet. It turned out that the cleaning staff unplugged it to clean around it and forgot to plug it back in.

Let's go down the checklist:
      * I have an ethernet port that the server recognizes as eno1
      -- I know eno1 works because that's what I'm using to ssh into it from my kubuntu computer.
      -- I also know it worked when I installed U16.04.2LTS onto the flash drive the server is booting from.
      Oh, wait a minute, that's it! The server doesn't have an optical drive so I installed the OS on my kubuntu machine onto the flash drive. The internet connection of the kubuntu machine was used, not the server.

Now what?
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

I had exactly the same situation, except that my transmit and receive bytes were zero.

Network Manger wouldn't see it but I could manually configure it like you did. Looked like a connection but didn't behave like one. When I bought a cheap USB-eth0 dongle for USB 3 and plugged it in it was immediately recognized and a working connection automatically established. My conclusion was that the thunderstorm the night before blew out my wired connection. It's on the mobo and the only way to fix it is to swap out the mobo. That's when I decided to buy the dongle instead. (I got the USB3 dongle because it supports speeds to 1Gbps, whereas the USB2 dongle only goes to 100Mbps.)
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm glad you got it back up without buying another mobo. In my case, the ethernet port (eno1) works because I've been logging into it for the past 2 weeks with ssh. And of course it's connected to my router or the switch connected to the router. I say or because I've moved it between both connections to see if there was a difference. There wasn't. The lights flash and everything looks like it should work as far as hardware is concerned. I really think it's a config problem. Did you take a look at the applicable outputs above? I don't know what else to check or do.
          "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Here's my current /etc/network/interfaces file

Code:
            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]$ cat /etc/network/interfaces[/COLOR]
            # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
            auto lo
            iface lo inet loopback
            auto he-ipv6
            iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
                    address 2001:XXX:XXX:XXX::2
                    netmask 64
                    endpoint XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 
                    local 192.168.1.100
                    ttl 255
                    gateway 2001:XXX:XXX:XXX::1
                    dns-nameservers 2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844

[/FONT]
            he-ipv6 is my Hurricane IPv6 tunnel.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I'm using IPv4, but I do see one difference. your dns-nameservers octets are not separated with periods or are those IPv6 as well? I ask because I do see the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8, and 8.8.4.4 in there. Here's my interfaces file. Please tell me if you see anything wonky!

Code:
              mark@Ubuntu-Server:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
              # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system                                            
              # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).                                             
              # source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*                                                                             

# The loopback network interface                                                                                 

auto lo                                                                                                          
              iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

auto eno1
              iface eno1 inet static
              address 192.168.1.101
              mask 255.255.255.0
              gateway 192.168.1.254
              dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

# This is an autoconfigured IPv6 interface
              iface enp0s10 inet6 auto

Comment

I added a dns-namedserver to my interfaces file, rebooted and I now have access. Thank you all. Okay, Vinny now I'll update and upgrade.

Comment

The address 192.168.1.154 is labeled as your gateway? Some mfgr's use that address to access their config pages. What's your router maker?

Comment

Working...
                  X