This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

For devices with a BCM4306 revision 3, BCM4311, BCM4318, BCM4321 or BCM4322 chip, install
    firmware-b43-installer:
    apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
    For a possible fix for:
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
    Your eth0 device is probably labled as enp14s0 so try the following command to enable it:
    sudo ifconfig enp14s0 up
    If it keeps being disabled at boot you can put "ifconfig enp14s0 up" in /etc/rc.local.

If having the ifconfig command brings it up but it still won't configure then the eth0 device is broken and you'll have to get an eth0 dongle to replace it. I had to do the same thing after my box was hit by lightening.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 15, 2017, 02:55 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx

For a possible fix for:

Your eth0 device is probably labled as enp14s0 so try the following command to enable it:

If it keeps being disabled at boot you can put "ifconfig enp14s0 up" in /etc/rc.local.

If having the ifconfig command brings it up but it still won't configure then the eth0 device is broken and you'll have to get an eth0 dongle to replace it. I had to do the same thing after my box was hit by lightening.
      Firmware-b43-installer is not available. I need another repo. ether link is enp3s0. I probably need the firmware first. I downloaded the second amd 64 bit version and the installer performed better on my machine but not by much. I still had to select the wifi packages manually on the DVD. I tried Ubuntu-drivers autoinstall but it failed. I think it tried to install packages in the wrong order. Probably when the installer was made it was coded out of order. Selecting the packages manually fixed it. I suspect the broadcom STA driver isn't exactly right for my wired.

It works for my wireless. The connection manager doesn't give enough time to enter the wifi password. I tried 5 times. I had to use a word document. Enter the password and use copy/paste. I used the keyboard not the mouse. Most security people disable mouse copy/paste, but they forget about the keyboard hot keys. What they think everyone always uses the mouse? Hello we are Linux users. Of course many of us know about keyboard commands.

One download of 16.04 was packaged on the 20th of the month in 2016 and the other one on the 21st. The 20th works best for me. Probably an even earlier package would work great on my laptop - HP, dv6 - but I can't find one.

How do I use BTRFS to save my install before I upgrade it? FYI: I only have a swap partion and to sub volumes @/ and @home, I believe that is correct use of BTRFS to maximis HD memory.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

wired still doesn't work. I just tried rebooting and still just the wifi. Maybe after I update it will work. First I need to figure out how to save my setup. Isn't there some BTRFS command to save it?
        Last edited by steve7233; Jul 16, 2017, 02:40 AM.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Did your wired work with Windows?
          Even if it did there is a possibility that it broke and will no longer work. I replaced my wired eth0 with a USB Eth0 stick. Works like a champ.

Saving your setup:
          a. Open a konsole and enter: "sudo -i" (to become root for the following commands)
          b. Enter "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt" (but change sda1 to what ever your device is) You are working on your running btrfs installation LIVE. Don't worry.
          c. Create /mnt/snapshots directory: mkdir /mnt/snapshots
          d. Create a snapshot of @: btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@ /mnt/snapshots/@_20170716
          e. Create a snapshot of @home:
          btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@home /mnt/snapshots/@home_20170716
          The "-r" makes them a read only so they can't be altered.
          f. CD to your home account.
          g. umount /mnt
          h. exit root: exit
          i. exit the Konsole: exit

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Did your wired work with Windows?
            Even if it did there is a possibility that it broke and will no longer work. I replaced my wired eth0 with a USB Eth0 stick. Works like a champ.

Saving your setup:
            a. Open a konsole and enter: "sudo -i" (to become root for the following commands)
            b. Enter "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt" (but change sda1 to what ever your device is) You are working on your running btrfs installation LIVE. Don't worry.
            c. Create /mnt/snapshots directory: mkdir /mnt/snapshots
            d. Create a snapshot of @: btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@ /mnt/snapshots/@_20170716
            e. Create a snapshot of @home:
            btrfs su snapshot -r /mnt/@home /mnt/snapshots/@home_20170716
            The "-r" makes them a read only so they can't be altered.
            f. CD to your home account.
            g. umount /mnt
            h. exit root: exit
            i.

exit the Konsole: exit

Code:
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~$ sudo i
            [sudo] password for steve7233: 
            sudo: i: command not found
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~$ sudo i
            sudo: i: command not found
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~$ sudo -i
            root@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~# sudo mount /dev/sda5/mnt
            mount: can't find /dev/sda5/mnt in /etc/fstab
            root@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~# sudo mount /dev/sda2/mnt
            mount: can't find /dev/sda2/mnt in /etc/fstab
            root@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~# sudo mount /dev/sda2/mnt
            mount: can't find /dev/sda2/mnt in /etc/fstab
            root@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~#
            I used kdepartionManager to see where the BTRFS was mounted.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
            #
            # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
            # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
            # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
            #
            # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
            # / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
            UUID=ab0e08c4-e30d-4107-9916-2eed1a01f104 / btrfs defaults,subvol=@ 0 1
            # /home was on /dev/sda5 during installation
            UUID=ab0e08c4-e30d-4107-9916-2eed1a01f104 /home btrfs defaults,subvol=@home 0 2
            # swap was on /dev/sda1 during installation
            UUID=1312a27e-4051-4c1c-a7b0-95cc2a79bb7a none swap sw 0 0

Code:
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~$ mount
            sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
            proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
            udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=1968764k,nr_inodes=492191,mode=755)
            devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
            tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=397648k,mode=755)
            /dev/sda5 on / type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=257,subvol=/@)
            securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
            tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
            tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
            tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd,nsroot=/)
            pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb,nsroot=/)
            cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio,nsroot=/)
            systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=31,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
            mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
            hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
            debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
            fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
            [B]/dev/sda5 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=258,subvol=/@home)
            [/B]tmpfs on /run/user/118 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=397648k,mode=700,uid=118,gid=126)
            tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=397648k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
            steve7233@steve7233-HP-Notebook-dv6:~$
            I bolded the line with the BTRFS.
            Last edited by steve7233; Jul 16, 2017, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Never mind I figured it out using the UUID. Konsle bugged when I told it to make the @ snapshot. The screen flickered and the cursor jumped up several lines! I used the clear command and everything worked after that. I checked the contents of my snapshot folder to verify everything worked.
              Thanks. How do I restore if that ever becomes necessary? How do I delete a snapshot or do I just update it and how? I got snapper, but I can't get it to work.
              Last edited by steve7233; Jul 16, 2017, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Well, first, using "sudo i" is not what I requested, which was "sudo -i". BIG difference.

Secondly, you didn't highlight:
                /dev/sda5 on / type btrfs (rw,relatime,space_cache,subvolid=257,subvol=/@)

Your fs looks normal. Instead of using "mount" use
                sudo blkid

Here is what mine gives:
                $ sudo blkid
                /dev/sda1: UUID="12980ae8-4117-4cc5-bbb8-8065e82af93d" UUID_SUB="568ad4a4-522e-4947-af9b-db9ca468d091" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="99e4dabd-01"

/dev/sdb1: UUID="17f4fe91-5cbc-46f6-9577-10aa173ac5f6" UUID_SUB="4d5f96d5-c6c6-4183-814b-88118160b615" TYPE="btrfs" PARTUUID="5fa5762c-9d66-4fdf-ba8f-5c69
                9763e636"

/dev/sdc: UUID="12980ae8-4117-4cc5-bbb8-8065e82af93d" UUID_SUB="4342c984-fa3c-4665-b6aa-0b5199b5927b" TYPE="btrfs"

Looking at fstab:
                Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]$ [B]cat /etc/fstab[/B][/COLOR]
                # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                #
                # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
                # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
                # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                #
                ##
                # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
                UUID=12980ae8-4117-4cc5-bbb8-8065e82af93d /               btrfs   defaults,subvol=@ 0       1

UUID=12980ae8-4117-4cc5-bbb8-8065e82af93d /home           btrfs   defaults,subvol=@home 0       2

[/FONT]
                Retry what I wrote before.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 17, 2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                  Never mind I figured it out using the UUID. Konsle bugged when I told it to make the @ snapshot. The screen flickered and the cursor jumped up several lines! I used the clear command and everything worked after that. I checked the contents of my snapshot folder to verify everything worked.
                  Thanks. How do I restore if that ever becomes necessary? How do I delete a snapshot or do I just update it and how? I got snapper, but I can't get it to work.
                  Using the UUID? You are scaring me.

Your Konsole should NOT flicker or "bugged".
                  Show me the vdir of your snapshot folder using the code quotation method, i.e., # button.
                  IF you didn't use "sudo -i" how did you mount /mnt?

Comment

I used sudo -i. It didn't work the first time because I misread and typed sudo i. I entered the UUID instead of /dev/sda5. That works.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                      I used sudo -i. It didn't work the first time because I misread and typed sudo i. I entered the UUID instead of /dev/sda5. That works.
                      It will, but unless you use C&P the UUID is a lot harder to type in. As oshunluver says, the /dev/sdX might change order as you add or remove HDs and SSDs. That happened to me. I originally had only one HD in my system, sda. Then I added a second in the 2nd bay. It became sdb. Then I removed the CDROM and inserted an HD Caddy and plugged another HD into it. It was assigned sdb and what was sdb became sdc. I had a RAID1 on sda and sdb but fortunately the UUIDs in fstab kept the RAID1 setup from getting confused.

Comment

Working...
                      X