X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird 52.1.1 freeze every 5 min

Hi all,

I have Thunderbird freeze every 5 mins since 3 week on my Kubuntu 16.04 LTS. Can somebody have an idea about this problem ?

Thank you for your help.

biowan

When you say it freezes every 5 minutes, does it crash? Or does it simply fail to respond and you have to restart it? Or is it trying to do something like retrieve mail from your provider and stop? What behavior do you see.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Hi @jglen490,

Thank you for your reply. There is no crash, no restart. When I click on an area of a Thunderbird window, I get sometimes a system message which it suggests to wait or to close forcing. I do wait and 10 seconds later, I can do what I want in Thunderbird. The freeze can be for all on Thunderbird, to close a Thunderbird window, open the setting window, when I edit an email, ... .

When Thunderbird is freeze, I can use other program without problem, Firefox, Dolpin, ... .

Thank you for your help.

Comment

I'm getting a similar phenomenon but system wide. Originally when I installed Vivaldi it would freeze for anywhere from 5-20 seconds as if it was buffering. Looking around online I found it was not an uncommon complaint. BUT, for about the last week or so, I have been getting freezing, in any browser, in any program. and sometimes my screen will flicker. All new to me. About a month ago I installed a SSD, don't think that is the problem, and recently, I've been playing around with some virtual installations but it happens even when vbox isn't running.

Neon User Edition, Plasma 5.10.2, Kernel 4.8.0-56

Edit: it does not occur using a live USB.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by biowan View Post
          Hi all,

I have Thunderbird freeze every 5 mins since 3 week on my Kubuntu 16.04 LTS. Can somebody have an idea about this problem ?

Thank you for your help.

biowan
          Have you tried Safe Mode? Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled.

Maybe when 52.2.1 becomes available your freezes will stop.

There have been 2 Thunderbird updates since 52.1.1 was released.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/52.2.0/releasenotes/

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde.../releasenotes/
          Last edited by WaltS48; Aug 20, 2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Open ksysguard and set it to remain in top. Set its sort mode to CPU% descending. Resize it to just show the top few lines. Then run your browser and when it freezes note which process is at the top of the list - the highest % CPU usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Not a live USB, installed on a NUC, I use vbox too, but the problem isn't from it I thing, because it was freeze when I didn't activate vbox. And I can have freeze only Thunderbird.

I didn't try Safe Mode. But I disabled some Add-on, but not all because I really need 2 of them. Right now, I do it. Let's see it will be solved and know which in the failed add-on.

About the CPU usage, I already did it. And I didn't see high usage before, during and after a freeze. Sometimes 1 second high %CPU maybe for the new email check, but not a real indicator for my mind.

Tell you more and thank you again.

Comment

With all add-on disable and restarted, still freeze
                Maybe the problem is from my account folder, maybe I migrated my existed account folder from old system. But how to solve ?

Comment

You can rename ~/.kde to ~/.kde_old and then reboot your computer. This will lose all your desktop settings, widgets, etc... but you'll be starting KDE with a clean slate. IF you still get freezing you can delete the new ~/.kde and rename ~/.kde_old to ~/.kde and reboot.
                  If the freeze goes away it was something in your KDE settings.

IF a new ~/.kde doesn't solve your problem then perhaps we should look at your GPU, its driver and settings.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

@GreyGeek, thank you for your reply.
                    The basic account with .kde is new, but not the thunderbird folder. I copied in block in the new user account.

Comment

Originally posted by biowan View Post
                      @GreyGeek, thank you for your reply.
                      The basic account with .kde is new, but not the thunderbird folder. I copied in block in the new user account.
                      That "could" be the root cause of your problem.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm having the same problem. When I run top it shows Thunderbird at 106% at times. I'm not sure it doesn't have something to do with remote checking of the email server. It's as if it gets in a hard loop. As if it can't be interrupted. Other apps work, I can change to the term window, type top, change to the browser - it works. TB is ... 'I'm busy and I'm not going to respond to your request'. Although I can type in the outgoing email and a minute later it shows up.

PS - I just switched from FC24 to Ku. and I had no problem with FC24.

More: I ran gkrellm (I have a multi core cpu) and TB grabs 1 cpu and slams it to 100+% for about 3? 4? minutes then back to 5-30%. Network shows very little traffic, disk next to nothing, other cpus normal.
                        Last edited by liderbug; Aug 18, 2017, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Uninstall FireFox with the purge option and be sure its hidden directory is also deleted. Then logout, log back in and re-install it.

There are lots of websites like this one:
                          http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/speed-u...simple-tweaks/

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/04/11/fi...tings-section/

https://www.maketecheasier.com/speed-up-firefox/

Comment

Working...
                          X