This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM overruns screen

Running 16.04, new installation. Graphics card: GE Force GTX 750Ti. VMware Workstation 12.5. VM: Windows 10 Home. NVIDIA X Server 367.57. Screen in portrait mode.

The Kubuntu screen is just fine, but the VM screen presents as too large, so there are vertical and horizontal scrollbars. I'm trying get the VM machine to fit the screen, which used to be automatic. Within the VM, there are no screen resolution choices that make it any better. (All the available alternate resolutions are for landscape mode.)

This isn't strictly a Kubuntu question, but I've posted it on VMware Communities and received no replies. I know some of us use Workstation (because Dibl got me started on it).

Here is the bizarre thing: When I run a Windows 7 VM, it does fit the screen. I do not change any of the NVIDIA settings. I created the W7 VM using VMware Player, not workstation. Could that be the difference? I suppose I could try creating a W10 VM from Player, but that will leave me with a ton of after-install configuration to do to thwart Microsoft's bugs. I can do that, but first I'd like to see if someone has any ideas about my current setup. Thanks.

Being Windows 10, just go into the Windows "Settings > System > Display > Advanced Display Settings", and change the screen resolution to one that gives a shorter height. Say you have a 1920 x 1080 linux screen, set Windows to whatever the next smaller height is under 1080, which will depend on your graphics card. On mine, there's a 1680 x 1050 size -- that might be about perfect for you.

Comment

Dibl, I swear you're destined to save me from myself. But here's the problem: My screen is rotated to portrait mode, with a resolution that Windows shows as 1076x1791. All of the available resolutions in Advanced Display Settings are for landscape mode. Do you know if there's a way in Windows 10 to add possible screen resolutions? Then I can horse around until I find one that will work.

BTW, I have followed your lead . . . sort of. Last June I left my teaching job of 37.5 years, and we moved to California. The "sort of" is because I'm teaching a course starting next week at McGeorge Law School in Sacramento. But I've had the past six months off, and it doesn't suck. As I recall, you went down to half time (or something like that) before you retired completely.

Comment

Working...
      X