This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For video thumbnail problems Kubu 16.04 Plasma 5.5.5 QT 5.5.1

Please NOTE that the "labeling" of "Preview" button in Dolphin is....well......dunno..........

If one clicks it and the "object on the screen" gets bigger, ummm the thumbnail is not there.

If one clicks it and the "object on the screen" gets smaller....ummm the thumbnail is seen.

I just wonder.........HOW MANY posts have been made in the great ocean of Linuxland with people not "seeing thumbnails" and the "button was clicked wrong".

P'raps.............. the whole metro thing is not as "kewl" as it seems....maybe for SOME things there should be a "shadow" to show that it is UP.... dunno, just sayin'....

This is a compilation of pertinent replies and a correction of a mistyping in another thread:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...hin+thumbnails

1. ffmpegthumbnailer
    2. kffmpegthumbnailer
    3. mplayerthumbnaile ---- ( this is actually "mplayerthumbs" in repo)
    4. kdegraphics-thumbnailers

plus this command in terminal

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/plugins/ffmpegthumbs.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/

the terminal command will also work with AMD metal.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 09, 2016, 05:35 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

From my point of view this 16.04 LTS is like Windows Vista. To many things does not work, which worked fine in 14.04. I'v just installed it w few weeks ago and noticed:
    - still not possible to automount CIFS share at boot time when wifi is in use
    - gwenview has no kipi-plugins
    - thumbnails (till today, fortunately thanks for this ln .... command, sad that this bug is still here after 6 months after 16.x release)
    - muon is terrible, wonder why it has search option which does not search anything

Well, this LTS should not be LTS. I guess some of the problems above are because of the transition from kde4 to kde5, where still some programs are left behind.

Regards
    P.

Comment

For video thumbnail problems Kubu 16.04 Plasma 5.5.5 QT 5.5.1

@piotrig, IF you think 16.04 is like VISTA then you've never run VISTA!

On my Acer 7739-6830 Xenial is sold as a rock and about twice as fast as 14.04, which has had two years to mature. (But, 14.04 was solid for me as well).

Of course, ymmv on different hardware run by different people. I had one annoying problem in 14.04, my RTL8188CE wifi chip driven by the rtl8192ce driver would get into disconnect-reconnect loop and become unusable. Changing parms offered no solution so, being two feet from the router, I connected with an ethernet cable. In 16.04 the same driver is used with the same parm settings that maximized the uptime in 14.04, and I can run all day with the wifi behaving normally. Occasionally, for as yet undetermined reasons, the chip would go into that disconnect-reconnect loop. In 16.04 I can take advantaged of systemd and issue
      sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager.service
      and I get a stable wifi again.

And that's it. For all the things I've asked 16.04 to do it has done them without complaint. It is a good LTS (albeit for only three years ) and being an LTS it can only get better and better for more people.

My Acer is six years old. When 18.04 LTS comes out (which I hope will be a 5 year LTS), it will be eight years old, almost three computer generations, and sliding toward the back end of the hardware compatibility window. My Acer, if it is still running then, may not run will under 18.04.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 26, 2016, 09:33 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I have got Acer 7740G with Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01). And it works fine although slow. Aprox. 4-7MB/s to my NAS.

I'v just managed to have gwenview with kipi (thanx to this deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/philip5/extra/ubuntu/ xenial main) but don't know why they have half the features than those from LTS 14.04

I'm still discovering new bugs in moun (known, not resolved).

From timeto time my display goes wierd and needs reboot. Definitely drivers problem. I'v got ATI chip, and I'm forced to use open sourced drivers (again which worked fine on previous LT), because ATI dumped fglrx.

It looks like there is no solution to my automount problem of CIFS shares. Very strange and very frustrating.

So this is my experience. We may have just different use cases.

P.

Comment

Working...
        X