This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

locale $LC and language $LANG issue

I've never seen some of these bugs on any distro before. Trying to read random man pages from the cli brings up the relevant page but man throws a warning on every one.

Code:
    username@machine:~$ man man
    man: can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct
    Given the other bugs and errors I've encountered in connection with locale (with language in the SDDM in particular), I'd say that either something is messed up with setlocale and the util is bugged or one of the installation scripts is messed up which leaves the environmental variable unset and reliant to something else. It might be that the settings gui is broken and Qlocale has no way to use setlocale to change locales. It seems that only Kubuntu is affected by this.

If you have the time and inclination, you could do a complete reinstallation and use English for all your choices, and select a Time Zone in the United States. Once installation is completed, you could then change specifics to your actual location.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      If you have the time and inclination, you could do a complete reinstallation and use English for all your choices, and select a Time Zone in the United States. Once installation is completed, you could then change specifics to your actual location.
      I did, that's basically the only way to get locations working if you need a different language on the desktop including the clock, SDDM etc, than the actual region and timezone you're in. Everything on this installation was set to London, UK GMT with probably only the keyboard set to US English during install because that seems to be the default. Seems like the settings panel can unset $LC or $LANG but can't set it to whatever else you might need so after you make any changes, everything including man reverts to some undefined default. Every problem I've encountered with locations and languages seems to stem from that. I'm not sure if I should open a bug ticket about this on KDE or launchpad.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcannibal View Post
        I'm not sure if I should open a bug ticket about this on KDE or launchpad.
        Open one on each.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X