This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entire home folder gone

Suddenly ALL of my files are not there. I decide to reboot and come back to a totally default home screen and home folder (all my files are gone).

When I go to /home and type ls -la

I get:

henry@kubuntu:/home$ ls -la
    total 12
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 May 4 13:40 .
    drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 May 7 04:23 ..
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 44 May 4 13:34 .directory -> /etc/kubuntu-default-settings/directory-home
    drwxr-xr-x 22 henry henry 4096 Jun 1 18:44 henry

So it looks like home has a symlink but doesn't (or wont) let me unlink:

Sudo unlink /etc/kubuntu-default-settings/directory-home

rm doesn't work either! It doesn't return error but IT DOESN'T HELP ME!

/home/henry is just a default user folder config. None of my stuff is there.

Please help!
    Last edited by Trashking; Jun 01, 2016, 08:07 PM.

Just for info: I was only using kdenlive and blender at the time, not doing anything with SUDO or something risky. Im hoping this is just a freak symlink problem but really I have no idea whats happening.

Comment

The symlink is not involved in your issues, it just sets a different icon for the /home directory in file managers.

Was your data on a different filesystem (IOW have you set up multiple partitions for your installation), maybe one of them was not mounted on boot for some reason?

Comment

No sir, the /home directory was on the same partition as root. This is just bizarre!

It is just like a new user, with the exact same name as mine was created and replaced it.
        Last edited by Trashking; Jun 01, 2016, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X