X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDK as preinstalled piece of sofware

Ladies and gentlemen

I write this post because a cople of weeks ago I tried out Kubuntu 16.04 LTS (just tried, not installed) and I realised that JDK is installed by default. So it begs me the question why KDE decided to install it. If I would chose Kubuntu as my personal desktop I would like to get JDK (or any kind of java player) out of my laptop. So, how could I uninstall it (actually I found the link below, is it right? I'm not sure how you integrate java in your desktop, so I decided to ask you directly).

https://askubuntu.com/questions/5892...led-java-jdk-8

Thanks for your time.

J.

First of all, don't confuse the java browser plugin with java the programming language, they are not the same thing. The java browser plugin is not installed by default. However, Libreoffice uses java, the programming language for some things. It is not mandatory, but some tools or options won't work without it. You can easily use a package manager such as Muon or Synaptic to find and uninstall any java packages you find if you wish to do so.

Comment

Thanks for answering, Claydoh, of course I don't mix up concepts, but I realise, during my trial session, that OpenJDK8.92 is preinstalled. That suggested me the idea that Plasma Destop may use it to run some process, such desktop clock, notes... or whatever. As far I concerned, I know that macro scrpts in OpenOffice need java to be executed, and base (I think that's the name of the program similar to Access) simplily doesn't run without java. The question here, is I don't want to have Java Browsers in my systems, in orther to prevent malware from calling for it. So, if I deceided to wipe out OpenJDK, would this affect the performance of the desktop? Because I don't know if there are some parts of the interface written in Java, which need Open JDK to work.

Thanks.

Comment

No It won't affect performance at all in removing it as the desktop does not use it.

There is no java plugin installed by default as it is a separate thing so your concern can be put to rest as Firefox simply cannot run it without it even with a jdk or jre installed on your system.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by claydoh; May 24, 2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answer Claydoh

Comment

Working...
          X