This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random PDF printing problems

Is anyone else having problems printing PDF files from okular?

We have some PDFs that won't print at all from my girlfriends laptop running 14.04 - a page just comes out of the printer talking about "syntax error" and other stuff.

When I print the same files from my fresh 16.04 desktop, I get a printed output but with some rendering errors - strange font misalignments and substitutions, plus some black streaks.

This happens with some, but not all, PDF files. Printing other document types and from web pages seems OK as far as I can tell.

Trying to narrow down the issue, the only files that exhibit the problem so far are PDF v1.7 files, but not ALL v1.7 files. But so far all older PDF version files that I have tried seem to print OK.

The printer is a Xerox Phaser 6022, and both computers are using the same latest available driver from the xerox web site. There doesn't seem to be a foomatic or gutenprint alternative.

I struggling to find any difference between the PDF files that do print OK, and those that don't. Has anyone else experienced this, or is it just me? Any ideas as to how to debug this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by bendy View Post
    We have some PDFs that won't print at all from my girlfriends laptop running 14.04 - a page just comes out of the printer talking about "syntax error" and other stuff.
    I do recall having similar problems back with 14.04 approximately. It was a libpoppler (a PDF printing library used by okular) problem, that was fixed eventually. I had some success installing Evince, the Gnome desktop equivalent to Okular, you might try that.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

John

You put me on the right track! A right-click on the affected files shows an option to open with krita. Krita opens and prints the files just fine. The problem seems limited just to okular, which is bizarre since that is the default pdf viewer........

Thanks!

Comment

It appears that Okular could use some Dev. Luvin'. A quick search of BKO did not turn up what appeared to be a bug relevant to your issue, but it did turn up 399 general bugs, plus an additional 87 just for the PDF back-end and 22 more for the printing function. Yikes!!

https://bugs.kde.org/component-repor...product=okular
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
        X