This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing celestia 1.6.1

Celestia used to be included under Education in Muon Discover; however, it is not included in 16.04. So I downloaded the tar.gz file from the Celestia website and am trying to install it. The instructions in the Readme text file seem simple enough--I have to change the directory to the Celestia folder then the file with the same name, then type "./configure --with-kde" and wait for it to do its thing. However, I get an error message saying that I need QT 3.3 or higher (but less than 4.0). I checked Synaptic and there are a lot of files associated with QT but I have no idea which ones to install. The website for Qt 3.3.8 offers another tar.gz file which I don't feel confident in installing. I am a simple user who will try anything with good instructions but with tar.gz files I'm a little lost. I did manage to get the elusive gl.h file demanded by Celestia, but now I'm stuck with installing Qt. The program is a nice one for astronomy buffs like myself, but if it's too complicated to install I may have to do it on Windows 10, which I almost never use. Any suggestions?

I have also downloaded celestia-gtk-1.4.1.x86.package as an alternative but don't know what to do with that. Any suggestions? I also downloaded and installed it (1.6.1 version) on Windows 10 and it went without a hitch. Sometime Windows is easier, I regret to say.

Comment

Working...
    X