This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPMS disable

Okay, so I upgraded my new laptop with an A10-8700P to 16.04... And I'm having issues. At first I thought it was due to the open drivers not supporting AMD "Carrizo" APU video properly, but the more I play around, the more I'm thinking it might not be that... Now that I think back to my old Laptop - this goes back about 6 years ago. But I vaguely remember I ran into an issue where DPMS was kicking out the monitor randomly. It was such a long time ago, I don't even remember how I fixed that, but that was very early releases of KDE 4. I know I didn't change anything in Xorg (as I'm looking through that laptop now). But I've been toying around, and I'm starting to think that DMPS is what's killing my laptop right now - however the Radeon, or AMDGPU... (whatever the open AMD drivers are called now) is reacting badly to it. I was in the power settings, and made sure that the monitor power saver was turned off on everything, been to the screen saver settings and ensure no screen saver etc where enabled. However I'm pretty sure DPMS is still active. Was it the laptop mode scripts that also had references to DPMS... Or isn't there some kernel settings some where I overlooked?

Okay, right now, even though it's not on my old laptop... I've checked, and yes it was active even if I manual turned it off via the xset command line. So right now, I decided to created an xorg.conf file with the following lines and rebooted:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "ServerLayout0"
    Option "BlankTime" "0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option "OffTime" "0"
    EndSection

So far (it's only been 5 minutes) it seems to be working (as in no blank screen)... Uhh, nope - just blanked (darn it). Okay, so my issue isn't DPMS. I've checked it several time's to make sure it was truly off, and it is. Even right now xset is reporting it's off as I stare at a blank screen (I'm on the computer remotely via an ssh terminal from my desktop). And like every time, all logs including debug logs aren't logging anything abnormal. Hmmm...
    Last edited by nukedathlonman; Apr 30, 2016, 02:11 PM. Reason: Typo's

Comment

Have you checked the BIOS/UEFI settings for any power management settings?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No....I'll look into the BIOS right now. I'm pretty sure that HP would be no different then any other mass produced notebook manufacturer in locking the user out of being able to adjust any of those settings as well. I'm also pretty sure this is a display driver problem as opposed to a BIOS setting.

Comment

Check System Settings > Desktop Behavior > Screen Locking and see if Lock screen automatically after: is checked (active).
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is - I discovered I can unplug the system from power, close the lid, wait for it to go to sleep, then open the lid and the screen works... For a very, short amount fo time - say, 1 to 2 minutes at most. And this also applies if an external monitor is hooked up, random blanks, ssh into system for reboot, or put system to sleep and wake it back up to have everything work again briefly. I'm more then sure this is a bug in the open source AMDgpu driver.

Comment

Uhh....I'm unclear how to file a bug in this case...

Comment

Working...
              X