X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16.04 size not as stated

I note that the file size is still claimed to 1.0GB on this page:

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

But it is actually 1.4+GB, which means it no longer fits on my 1.0GB flash drive.

The docs need updating or the file size needs trimming... There are several apps in the distro that I never use and which I would not mind if removed from said distro.

FYI to the Kubuntu site webmaster...
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

I've notified Jonathan Riddell.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog...

I wasn't aware the he was still involved in Kubuntu. Good news.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I've passed it along to others via irc. I could get access and fix it myself but I don't have time at the moment (working 12 plus hrs on a Sunday

I don't know if Jonathan still has a login but the website guys are usually in irc and should see the message.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

The site has already been update to reflect the 1.4 GB .iso file size.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's fixed:

The download process can take a while, depending on your connection speed (the file size is 1.41GB).
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Dang! That was fast, thanks to all.

Comment

Yeah I had passed it on shortly after you posted but I never sent my reply to you here until much later

I forgot to hit send I think

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  ... which means it no longer fits on my 1.0GB flash drive.
                  Wow! A 1Gb flash drive... how old is that? I think the smallest new flash drives have been 4Gb for some time now.

Mind you, I can beat that 1Gb for smallest size ... I still have a 128Mb drive (my very first flash drive c. 2005) that is still OK. I use it to flash firmware devices and BIOS updates occasionally (about all it's useful for nowadays).
                  Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                  Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                    Wow! A 1Gb flash drive... how old is that? I think the smallest new flash drives have been 4Gb for some time now. ...
                    about four years old, and Yeah, it worked fine for 14.04 (still does), but software bloat is the bane of our existence. Guess I'm too cheap to invest in a new flash drive...

Comment

I was looking at Amazon yesterday to check the prices of flash drivers and notice that I can get a Sandisk 64GB USB 2.0 for $15.99 and a 32GB USB 2.0 for $9.99.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sometimes My Staples has flash drives at the registers that are in that price range. I think I paid 15 bucks or so for one if their store branded 64gb recently.

At those prices I don't even look on Amazon anymore usually.

Too bad microsd cards aren't as cheap there.

Somehow all my flash drives under 32 gb have disappeared

Comment

Working...
                        X