X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A nice try, Ubuntu, but i have gone back to 14.04.4

Hello Guys,
    at first, I know that my HW* is a piece of crap and is supposed to be the same age as dinosaurs, but anyway, i have decided to upgrade my well worked Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installation. So I've burned the fresh downloaded ISO file on a USB-Drive and tried to boot, nothing happened Ok, there was an error message. With Google's help I've found a little bit more about it and ... and I has shocked. The images have been made with usb-creator-gtk (Startup-Media-Creator) on Kubuntu 14.04 don't work with (K)ubuntu's higher versions or something like that. Bla bla bla. Kubuntu 16.04 has been successfully installed. But that was only the beginning. Kubuntu 16.04 doesn't work properly with my tripple-desktop-setting. The middle monitor is connected over a mini displayport-cable, but he doesn't receives any signals from my ATI GC and stays black the all time. In Kubuntu 14 I was able to turn it off and turn it on again, and it works! With Catalyst I haven't had that problem, but in Kubuntu 16.04 there is no more it. In addition to that chrome freezes and the breeze theme is a crap, too

So I've gone back to my well worked Kubuntu 14.04.4

And Legen... wait for it... argh... Conclusion: Never change a ruuning system! ... ary. Thanks and have a nice day!

* cpu: Xeon E5450
    * gpu: Radeon HD 5870

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

I installed Xerus on top of btrfs, which is running well. Chrome works well for me. I wasn't pleased with Breeze and Vinney's Bare Naked was a perfect solution - I like transparent panels and widgets.
    14.04 is a great version as well. I used it for two 1/2 years, and it will be good till 2019, so you can't lose.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ha! Nice story PeterGriffin Yeah, 16.04 still needs a a couple months or even three months. But I'm with you: if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I'm happily running 14.04, and it runs so well that, if anything, I'm bored.

btw, for the future, best way to make a live Kubuntu USB flash drive, IMO, ... use the dd command straight:
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712

(Seems to be a lot of 'issues' posted around the Internet forums with the canned programs designed to do such.)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

As I understand things with this Ubuntu release there is no proprietary support for AMD GPU and won't be for a while.... Not brilliant :/

Comment

It's not just AMD -- I upgraded my existing 14.04.4 (thought it was .1 but I've been to the no-GUI-loading command prompt enough times today to be sure it's .4), and couldn't get into the desktop. I'd get the graphic login screen, and then the system would sit there at the login splash image instead of going on into the desktop. Tried installing various versions of the nVidia drivers from the repo at command line, no joy. Finally copied the upgraded install to another partition for later, and copied back the backup copy of the 14.04.4 that I'd stashed, and after getting the UUIDs straightened out in GRUB and fstab, that one is back to working fine. Now my partner is ribbing me, offering use of her spare Macbook, since I can't make my Linux system behave.

Oh, and now that I've got GRUB and fstab fixed, I'm getting a completely different boot failure in 16.04, the root partition won't mount...

This reminds me a lot of when Windows 8 came out -- everyone called it a "paid beta test" and "should have held it another few months". Come on, Canonical, you can do better than this...

Comment

Working...
          X