This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to take the plunge

Just installed 16.04, and so far I'm liking it. As Teunis said before, it's pretty stable so far. It even fixed an issue with the System Settings app crashing when going into "Display and Monitor" and backing out while the nvidia driver was installed, so I'm happy about that. I know it's still a development version, but I'm going to use it as my main OS for a while. I'm not too worried because all of my important stuff is stored on a secondary drive, so if the OS crashes and burns, it'll be an easy matter to reinstall and get back to where I was. So yeah, I'm pretty impressed so far with how far it's come with still over a month to go before official release.

Oh, there is one snag I hit; the Driver Manager won't show any kind of driver list, it just sits on "Collecting information about your system" and never moves on from that. It's not a big deal, installing the nvidia drivers was easy enough through the terminal (which I prefer anyways, Terminal4Lyfe). Just something I wanted to bring up.

Update; decided to abandon 16.04 for now, not because of any instabilities, as it's incredibly stable, but there's a few repositories I need that haven't updated to 16.04 just yet. One of those is getdeb, which holds the Rubyripper package I need for ripping my CDs into flacs. I know there's other CD rippers out there, but I like Rubyripper the best. So for now, until 16.04 is released and repositories are updated, I'm back on 14.04, as 15.10 has proven a bit too unstable with my system.

Comment

Nice to have a choice, isn't it?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Nice to have a choice, isn't it?
        Yup! The nigh-constant reinstall-replace I've been doing the past couple weeks would've been a nightmare to attempt with Windows. It can take me over a day to get Windows installed and setup, but with Linux it's a few hours at most.

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil View Post
          ... I know there's other CD rippers out there, but I like Rubyripper the best. ...
          I really liked Rubyripper. The last time I used it was when I left Ubuntu 10.04 LTS behind in December 2012. I used Rubyripper and EasyTag when I put my entire CD collection on my hard drive.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
            I really liked Rubyripper. The last time I used it was when I left Ubuntu 10.04 LTS behind in December 2012. I used Rubyripper and EasyTag when I put my entire CD collection on my hard drive.
            Yeah, I'm glad I came across Rubyripper. I tend to buy my music on CDs when I can't find an album in flac format, so I needed something similar to Exact Audio Copy, which I used on Windows. Rubyripper is the best I came across for Linux, and EasyTag is nice for adding in album art.

Comment

Originally posted by Cecil View Post
              Yeah, I'm glad I came across Rubyripper. I tend to buy my music on CDs when I can't find an album in flac format, so I needed something similar to Exact Audio Copy, which I used on Windows. Rubyripper is the best I came across for Linux, and EasyTag is nice for adding in album art.
              Not that it matters ,,,,,one likes what they like ,,,,,,,but what was wrong with K3b ?

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                Not that it matters ,,,,,one likes what they like ,,,,,,,but what was wrong with K3b ?

VINNY
                Nothing's really "wrong" with K3b, I just like the way Exact Audio Copy and Rubyripper work when it comes to extracting audio CDs, going beyond simple jitter correction and checking extracted audio multiple times to ensure it's as error-free as possible. If EAC believes it has come across an extraction error, it will read over the sector multiple times, compare each extraction, and choose the data that's been consistently the same across the reads. Rubyripper takes a different, but similar approach, in that it not only uses cdparanoia as the backend, but will also read each track twice to ensure both reads are the same.

Comment

Working...
                X