EFI: Disabled
    Hardware Click UTC Time: Enabled
    Video RAM allocated: 32MB out of 128MB
    3D acceleration: Disabled
    Optical Drive Controller: IDE PIIX4 with host I/O cache enabled
    HDD Controller: SATA AHCI without host I/O cache enabled
    HDD size: 29GB

ISO in use is kubuntu-16.04-desktop-i386.iso

Without virtualization, VirtualBox only supports 32-bit OSes, which is fine. I setup the VM with the parameters above, and downloaded the 32-bit version of Kubuntu. When I inserted the DVD into the VM, and booted up, the result was the screenshot below.

If you need more information, I'll provide what I can. Thanks in advance!

You don't have to burn the downloaded .iso to medium (DVD/USB). In the VM you just have to point to where the .iso file is for it to be used. Then, when the VM starts, it will load/run the .iso file and you will then get to install Kubuntu to the VM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I recall seeing at least these on a similar topic

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2336977

and

http://askubuntu.com/questions/76207...ith-virtualbox

so not kubuntu specific.

1st thing I would do is to make sure you have the very latest VirtualBox version direct from the VirtualBox site.
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Can't run a 64bit ISO in VirtualBox? Is that a Win10 limitation?

I do it all the time on Kubuntu 16.04 without problems. And, I use the version of VB that is in the repository. I install the following files:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20161011_162253.png
Views:	1
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	643343

When I select the storage devices I deselect the floppy and move the optical to the top position, followed by the HD. Then I add the ISO to the optical so that it boots when I start the guest. After installation I shut down instead of rebooting, then I remove the ISO from the optical and then start the guest.

Those packages allow me to run a 64 bit guest OS full screen with drag & drop between the OS and the guest. You can also install SAMBA and smb and activate bidirectional sharing on a home folder.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Oct 11, 2016, 03:30 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Snowhog - Thanks for the suggestion, but that is how I am already doing it. I didn't burn the ISO, before attaching it to the VM

acheron - this is the latest version of virtualbox, downloaded directly from their site the day before i posted this. As is stated in those threads, there is only one version of virtuabox available for download that is for both x64, and x86 systems.

GreyGeek - I think you misunderstood. Installing a 64-bit version of any operating system is not an option in virtualbox, if the host's CPU does not support hardware virtualization, or it is otherwise not enabled. On my computer, Virtualization is supported by the CPU, but there is no option in the BIOS to enable this, so I am stuck with 32-bits in the guest, unless I try this on a computer where this can be enabled.

Virtualization is supported by the processor, but there is no option to enable it in the BIOS. hyper-v is also not available in win10 - home edition, so it can't be interfering. No other VM software is installed here.

Comment

Sadly Fortunatley, I don't use VirtualBox on Windows nowadays, so I am a bit stumped.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
              GreyGeek - I think you misunderstood. ... Virtualization is supported by the processor, but there is no option to enable it in the BIOS. hyper-v is also not available in win10 - home edition, so it can't be interfering. No other VM software is installed here.
              Ah, "Virtualization Tech: Not supported" was in reference to your CPU, not VB. My bad.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

No worries... I did confirm that this issue is specific to virtualbox. I uninstalled VB, and installed VMWare Workstation 12 Player instead. Booting to the DVD (ISO) worked fine this way, but now I have another issue...

I get through all the steps to start the install, and then somewhere in the middle of install, the display changes over to TTY1, and prompts for login. I logged in using kubuntu <blank> then typed "exit" which took me back to the installer screen...

Now it's sitting at about 50%, and has been for the last 45 or so minutes. There is intermittent access to the HDD, and DVD, but it seems no progress is being made. Did I do something wrong? (Note this is still a 32-bit kubuntu install)

One other thing of note... The Linux install display is not conforming to the display size that the VM is using, so text, and buttons on the right are cut off, or not there. Tab works wonders for the buttons, but can't see anything outside of that display area.
                Last edited by jasoncollege24; Oct 12, 2016, 06:42 PM. Reason: Adding a bit about resolution

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
                  I get through all the steps to start the install, and then somewhere in the middle of install, the display changes over to TTY1, and prompts for login. I logged in using kubuntu <blank> then typed "exit" which took me back to the installer screen...

Now it's sitting at about 50%, and has been for the last 45 or so minutes. There is intermittent access to the HDD, and DVD, but it seems no progress is being made. Did I do something wrong? (Note this is still a 32-bit kubuntu install)

One other thing of note... The Linux install display is not conforming to the display size that the VM is using, so text, and buttons on the right are cut off, or not there. Tab works wonders for the buttons, but can't see anything outside of that display area.
                  It looks like you are having problems with the permission of a hidden file ( period as the first character of the name) in your home account: ~/.Xauthority. When may have happened is that something changed the ownership of that file from yourname:yourname to root:root.

If you can boot to a root console screen then cd to your /home/yourname account and
                  vdir .Xauthority
                  to see who owns it. If it is not you then issue
                  chown yourname:yourname .Xauthority

Then logout and log back in.

IF you do own it then see if you have rw permission on it. (rw-------). If not then use chmof to give you rw permission.
                  chmod u=rw .Xauthority
                  and don't forget the leading period.

Comment

The problem was resolved. To get around this, I used a liveCD. During the liveCD session, I created an admin user, then used that admin user to install. Thanks for the help!

Comment

And the ownership of all the files and directories in your home account are you:you

Comment

Everything appears to be working as it should after a successful install. I didn't bother looking at the ownership of files in my home directory, since it appears to be working.

Comment

Working...
                        X