X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to find a medium containing a live file system

Hi All
    I'm trying to install Kubuntu 16.04 in a VMware Virtual Machine. I download the entire iso and copy it to a USB.
    When I try to install it gets as fas as the Kubuntu Logo and then crashes with the "Unable to find a medium ...." message.
    Tried from a few sources and get the same issue. Ubuntu 16.04 seems to work fine, any advice would be appreciated.

Regards
    Joseph

Just save the .iso to your HDD and in the VM you created, select it as the CD from which you will preform the installation from.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Tried again

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Just save the .iso to your HDD and in the VM you created, select it as the CD from which you will preform the installation from.
      Hi there
      Thanks for the suggestion, I tried again and got the same error, the iso seems to be fine But, I have noticed a very odd date stamp on the download, I don't know if its the last time the file was actually edited but it says 21 April 2016, which of course is not the date today?

Also I've not tried the MD5 checksum, would you advice this and how will it help solve the problem if my iso is corrupt (at source?)

Thank
      Joseph

Comment

The MD5SUM won't actually fix anything but it will let you know if the downloaded iso is corrupted or altered. Run the md5sum command or the windows equivalent against the iso md5sum kubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso for example, and if it doesn't match the published one for the iso then it's bad and you download it again from another source.

Edit: Also, if you are copying the iso file to the usb key and only have the one file on the key that is the wrong way to go about it. You should extract the file to the key; it expands into a file system. As @Snowhog said, as you are running on a virtual machine, you simply use the iso as a virtual DVD drive. I don't know where you do that in VMware as I haven't used it.
        Last edited by elijathegold; Jul 11, 2016, 05:02 AM.
        If you're sitting wondering,
        Which Batman is the best,
        There's only one true answer my friend,
        It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Hi All
          I've tried everything you've suggested and even created a 'Live' USB, but still the VMware Fusion, crashes after a while or else my Mac can't even read the USB?
          Very tedious. I'm now looking for alternate sources of the iso. any suggestions on reliable ones please ?

Thanks

Comment

If the md5sum of the ISO you are trying to use MATCHES the posted md5sum for that ISO then you don't need to download a fresh copy. IF the site you downloaded from did not supply an md5sum then delete the ISO, go to the Kubuntu download site and download a fresh copy. BE SURE TO CHECK THE md5sum. FIRST THING.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/

The md5sum for the 64bit ISO, as reported by that site, is:
            kubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso248a2252409dd11c2a8ecc8711122e28fb8a5bae8f7379313f 15faef5bfe15b5
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK, finally got an iso to work, I was following advice for 64-bit iso, because my Mac is a 64 bit machine, But of course its and Intel CPU ! So now I chose the 32-bit iso and it worked as expected, just need to load the VMware tools to get the full screen to work properly.

Thank you all for the help

Comment

Mmmm .... Is it common for 64 bit Macs to not accept 64 bit ISO's?
                When was the last 32bit Mac released?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hi GreyGeek
                  I've no idea, I've installed the 64 bit version of Windows10 as well as Ubuntu 16.04 (not KUbuntu) and they seemed to work fine.
                  I just thought I'd give the i386 iso a spin and it worked,? Bit of a puzzle, when I get more time I'll try the 64bit version again,

Comment

Originally posted by kubuntutjoe View Post
                    Hi GreyGeek
                    I've no idea, I've installed the 64 bit version of Windows10 as well as Ubuntu 16.04 (not KUbuntu) and they seemed to work fine.
                    I just thought I'd give the i386 iso a spin and it worked,? Bit of a puzzle, when I get more time I'll try the 64bit version again,
                    The 32bit ISO should work just fine on a 64 bit machine but won't run apps that are released only as 64 bit (someone will correct me if this has changed). When you install apps like GoogleEarth, TeamViewer and the like you won't need to install the 32lib compatibility layer.

You never did say (Or I didn't see) whether or not you checked the 64bit ISO checksum. Did it check out ok?

Comment

Hi there,
                      That's my understanding as well, no I never got around to it, only other thing I thought it might be is the 64 bit version is for AMD chipsets while the 32 bit version is for intel. Not sure of that is an issue for Mac's

As I'm pretty keen to use up to date software I might well try and find a 64 bit version iso that works :-)

Comment

Originally posted by kubuntutjoe View Post
                        Hi there,
                        That's my understanding as well, no I never got around to it, only other thing I thought it might be is the 64 bit version is for AMD chipsets while the 32 bit version is for intel. Not sure of that is an issue for Mac's

As I'm pretty keen to use up to date software I might well try and find a 64 bit version iso that works :-)
                        Without verifying the checksum of an ISO burning it is to rely on chance for a successful install.
                        Also, Ubuntu dropped support for the AMD GPU. AMD has stepped up to the plate and offers its own drivers for Linux but they are not in the repository but you will have to download them, checksum them and install them.

Comment

Hi there
                          I downloaded the 64 bit iso again and ran MD5 from my Mac , came back with a very different checksum to yours
                          i.e. 71f29e721708bb743ee646a820994fc0

Not sure why this is the case, do you know any reliable alternate download sites for the 64 bit iso?

Thanks
                          Joseph

Comment

Ok now I'm confused I ran the same MD5 on the Mac against the 32 bit iso (which installed fine) and got back a completely difference one to the one listed on the Kubuntu.org site? (kubuntu-16.04-desktop-i386.iso) = 3e9f1a1ded8a4f8f6b521baa7a1d09e0 does this change from time to time?

Comment

It will change each time they release an updated iso, but in this case you are using MD5SUM and the checksum used by Kubuntu is the more secure SHA256SUM. It takes a bit longer to compute than MD5.

Edit: In Linux the command is sha256sum filename.
                              If you're sitting wondering,
                              Which Batman is the best,
                              There's only one true answer my friend,
                              It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
                              X