This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 minutes to boot

I put the 16.04 ISO on a memory stick but when I boot from it it takes about 25 minutes before it displays the desktop.

It does not show the usual "Welcome do you want to try Kubuntu or install Kubuntu" screen at all.

If I put Ubuntu 16.04, or Kubuntu 15.10 on the same memory stick, all is well

I did an md5sum check on the downloaded ISO, and I've tried re-writing the ISO to the memory stick

During the 25 minutes the monitor is in sleep mode and no key presses (including Ctrl-Alt-F1 have any effect), I haven't found a way to show the boot messages.

I've tried searching the log files but can't see anything obvious, but not sure what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts welcome!

Best Regards
    Paul

Try pressing Esc when the Kubuntu logo appears. It should show what is taking all the time. Alternatively, if you are logged in and don't want to reboot, run the command dmesg | less to have a look through the syslog; maybe something will stand out.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion elijathegold. After the grub menu I get no logo and pressing Esc does nothing.

The only big-ish pause in syslog is:

Code:
      May 14 13:09:21 kubuntu dbus[2438]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kde.powerdevil.backlighthelper'
      May 14 13:17:01 kubuntu CRON[3534]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
      looks like an 18 minute gap between those two messages but no clue as to what's going on in-between.

I'm wondering if it's possible to edit the boot command in the grub menu so that the screen isn't blanked during boot-up.

Comment

I'd suggest that you verify the download'd .iso file to ensure the sum is valid. Then, how did you burn the .iso to the stick?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by PaulWorrall View Post
          I'm wondering if it's possible to edit the boot command in the grub menu so that the screen isn't blanked during boot-up.
          Yes ... if I can remember how ...
          Press 'e' to edit the command line for the selected grub item, then remove the 'quiet splash' parameters.

This might help: GRUB2 Edit Mode
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

@Snowhog: yes, I did md5sum --check the iso and I used "Startup Disk Creator" (usb-creator-kde) to burn it. Works OK for 15.10 and Ubuntu 16.04

@SecretCode: removed 'quiet splash' and got a fraction of a second of boot messages before the monitor went blank for 25 mins.

I'll come back to this tomorrow.

Comment

I upgraded my desktop PC to 16.04 and got the same problem (25 minutes of blank screen/monitor off) before the login screen is displayed, but I have just discovered that booting with kernel version 4.2 is OK and I also installed kernel 4.6 as described here: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-16-04/ and that's OK too, so the problem seems to be specific to kernel 4.4.

Comment

Working...
              X