X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Install Kubuntu 16.04

Hello everyone!

I am a Kubuntu user for several years now and usually I keep updating to the next LTS every two years. Since I bought a new computer end of last year, any installation would only last a few months, hence I picked 15.10 planning to replace it with 16.04 LTS as soon as it's available. So I downloaded 16.04 last weekend, created a fresh installation ISO (the system is not configured that much so I prefer a fresh installation over an in-place update), but so far it resists to get installed:

I can boot from the DVD and the Live-OS runs without any problems (at least I did not find any so far), further the ISO's hash code is correct and the 'Check discs for errors' option also finished without errors found, i.e. the DVD should be ok. But whatever I try, as soon as I start the installation (it does not make a difference if I start it by the 'Install Kubuntu' option or first perform a full boot of the Live-OS and continue with the installation option), directly after the language selection, the second screen asks me to download updates during installation, to install third-party stuff (codecs etc.) and finally, depending on my BIOS' secure boot options, I also might be asked to enter a secure boot password. However, I tried all kinds of secure boot options in my BIOS, including fully deactivating it, as well as all combinations of checking / unchecking the respective check boxes: If I try to move to the next window (i.e. third installation window, expected to contain the hard disc setup), the system needs a few seconds and then a small message box with a big yellow !-sign pops up showing no text and if I press its OK-button, the installation does not continue. I don't know what I can do here, but I've tried for three days now to install Kubuntu and hence, asking in this forum is probably my last way out before trashing the fresh DVD and switching to a different KDE distro...

So can maybe someone help me out? I also tried to find some trace files or something else, but so far I did not manage to find out what's actually the problem...

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Kubuntu Forums . Net.

You will need to provide us with the specifications of your computer so we know what we are dealing with, and specifically, is it UEFI (newer motherboards utilize UEFI; older motherboards use BIOS). We will also need to know how you created the Live DVD -- what program did you use to 'burn' the downloaded .iso file?

I'm sure that we can assist you in getting 16.04 properly installed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the very fast response

Actually the System is an MSI GE62 notebook (i7-5700HQ / 16 GB Ram / GTX970M / 2x 128 GB SSD Raid 0 + 1 TB). Currently on the SSD there is a 200 GB partition containing Win 10 Home, the remaining part contains Kubuntu 15.10 which I'm trying to replace with 16.04. It uses UEFI, but even activating the UEFI compatibility mode does not help as well as trying all kinds of secure boot options. Apart from that, the 15.10 installation run fine as well as booting from the DVD works fine even with secure boot and UEFI activated in all possible combinations.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibtnix View Post
        directly after the language selection, the second screen asks me to download updates during installation, to install third-party stuff
        It is generally recommended; and what I always do; to NOT select (mark) those two options. Do the installation from the Live DVD/USB only, and once installed and you have rebooted/logged back in, to then perform an update and dist-upgrade from a konsole. After that, you can add/activate the third-party repository and then again, update and dist-upgrade from a konsole. Assuming there are no issues with ones hardware and/or GPU, then installing using this procedure is the best way to ensure a successful install of Kubuntu of whatever version.

Comment

Thanks for your reply! Even this is usually the way how I install Kubuntu, I tried all kinds of check / uncheck combinations - in all cases, the installation stops with this empty message box. This gives rise to the guess that my problem is caused by something completely different, but I neither know what it is nor I know how to find out...

Comment

Just be patient. We do have knowledgable members here, and I'm sure that one or more will provide some useful assistance.

Comment

Can you still get to your Windows 10 Partition and run that OS? If so, I assume GRUB installed properly?

Comment

I have run into the same issue... on the page where you can select the updates and third party stuff, the Continue button is non-functional.
                Pressing alt will underline the B in the Back button but the Continue does not have any letter underlined.

This does not change with anything checked or unchecked.
                Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Just be patient. We do have knowledgable members here, and I'm sure that one or more will provide some useful assistance.
                  Sure, that's why I'm asking and I really did not want to make an impatient impression, 15.10 is running, hence I'm not in a hurry

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                  Can you still get to your Windows 10 Partition and run that OS? If so, I assume GRUB installed properly?
                  Yes I can, Windows 10 and Kubuntu 15.10 both boot and run fine, only Kubuntu fails to boot if I enable secure boot (but also comes with a red warning message that it's due to the secure boot option); maybe I did not activate it during installation, but I do not think that this has something to do with my 16.04 installation problems - they occur always, independently from enabled or disabled secure boot options.

Originally posted by otisklt View Post
                  I have run into the same issue... on the page where you can select the updates and third party stuff, the Continue button is non-functional.
                  Pressing alt will underline the B in the Back button but the Continue does not have any letter underlined.

This does not change with anything checked or unchecked.
                  Glad to hear that this error is not exclusive to me, so this might help to fix it
                  So let's wait for someone who might know a way out

Comment

Today I tried another thing to screen the problem: I tried to install ubuntu 16.04 LTS and wanted to see if this error occurs as well; and indeed it does but ubuntu does not come up with helpful comments what's wrong as well. Anyway, I found out that there are error log files in /var/crash and by inspecting them I finally could solve the problem. So here is the solution, that at least worked for me:

The problem was related to the partition table on my main hard disc. Running

sudo gdisk /dev/<device>

where <device> has to be replaced by the respective device (sda, sdb, ...) and writing a new one with 'w' and exiting with 'q' before the installation (i.e. first fully boot the Live OS to run gdisk) solved the problem for me. Maybe this is helpful for other people having the some problem.
                    Last edited by Gibtnix; Apr 30, 2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X