This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are there hardware dealbreakers?

I am wondering if there is hardware that I should take out that would stop me from being able to install Kubuntu.

I ask because plasma fails to load when I try to boot up the install disk. I can Ctrl+Alt+F1 over to a shell login.

(I should note that I downloaded the freshly new 16.04 64-bit release, md5 sum checked ISO and installed onto a new usb 3.0 stick using the preferred method)

I've also run the "check disk for errors" and it returns a positive result. (As in no errors found)

Next my computer has uncommon parts in it that may be blocking the install, as its very new.

I'm using a z170 chipset motherboard, it has a M.2 NVM Express hard drive, I have a dual 980 GTX nVidia SLI setup, as well as a H110 GT water cooling system.

So, could any of these be responsible for blocking the install (which I guess would be a dealbreaker) is really what I'm asking here. If it's something simple like "Linux won't boot with two video cards on the motherboard" that's something I can work with.

(Ps - I've tried re-running plasmashell from the command line and I get a strange connection error with a coredump)

Edit: should have mentioned that the plasmashell crash message was:

Executable plasmashell PID: 2355 Signal: Illegal instruction (4)

Also, my monitor is an Acer Predator XB271hu with G-Sync 165Hz boost mode if that makes any difference to the desktop environment
    Last edited by Guest; Apr 21, 2016, 04:58 PM. Reason: Update

If the install disk fails to run in the LIVE mode, from the CDROM or USB, and you are sure that the md5sum of the ISO is correct and you checked the install on the USB stick and it still won't present you with a good desktop in the LIVE mode, then one possibility remains: secure boot. Is your machine a white box or did it come with Windows on it?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      If the install disk fails to run in the LIVE mode, from the CDROM or USB, and you are sure that the md5sum of the ISO is correct and you checked the install on the USB stick and it still won't present you with a good desktop in the LIVE mode, then one possibility remains: secure boot. Is your machine a white box or did it come with Windows on it?
      No secure boot features turned on or any other protections in BIOS. This is a custom-made machine built from individual parts.

Also, just tried Ubuntu 16.04 64bit version and everything worked flawlessly. This appears to be a plasma-specific issue not liking my machine.

Comment

As a test, perhaps you could try Kubuntu 14.04 LTS--64 bit (i.e., UEFI; not the 32 bit).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I suspect that you have run into the ugly bug I reported a couple of days ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1571564. I have the same issue as you on a desktop with intel i5 6500 and a single Nvidia GTX 960 and a laptop with Intel HD graphics. The live media stops working with a number of plasma crashes and no way to install. Ubuntu and Xubuntu works perfectly. If you think it is the same bug, please register so that the devs may get more information. I have not been able to give them much.

Comment

So can you install Ubuntu and then add the Kubuntu desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              So can you install Ubuntu and then add the Kubuntu desktop?
              I have not tested this yet. It is not an ideal solution since there will be a lot of extra applications.Perhaps it would be worthwhile to know if Kubuntu installs from within another environment. I have just started the Live session with Xubuntu/Ubuntu, which is impossible in Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
              X