This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdesudo issue

Hello, tested the 16.04.1 several weeks and tried different things and broke and repaired the system, but here is not about all that. Mentionned it because of one or two threads during the testing period.

Now I did a fresh install, updated, done some customization but nothing special, nothing risky. Than looked to see if an issue from the testing period was caused by my experiences or is it a bug in the distribution. And it looks it is a bug. This is what happens:
    1. First open dolphin with kdesudo, and worked.
    2. Than, close it and repeat the operation, but this second time it doesn't work: red tag in dolphin saying "the process for the file protocol died unexpectedly", and no files were shown in the root directory.
    3. Looked in the terminal, and when Dolphin was working, kdeinit5 was activated, while when not working couldn't see any trace of kdeinit5.
    4. Kdesudo comes back to life (but only for a single try) if rebooting, or if opening it with "kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin", when it works once plus a second time in normal mode "kdesudo dolphin", than stops working again.
    5. And this happens with any application used with kdesudo, Kate for example.

Any idea of how to solve this bug?
    Thanks,
    aria

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...t=dolphin+root
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek, this confirms what I experienced. I'll change my habits from "kdesudo dolphin" to "kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin". And I really understand why (how didn't I think it before?): in plasma 5 we have to use 5 words. But don't understand why in plasma 4 had to use only 2 (...inconsistent).
      aria

Comment

Originally posted by aria View Post
        Thanks GreyGeek, this confirms what I experienced. I'll change my habits from "kdesudo dolphin" to "kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin". And I really understand why (how didn't I think it before?): in plasma 5 we have to use 5 words. But don't understand why in plasma 4 had to use only 2 (...inconsistent).
        It will be resolved eventually. My 16.04 installation on my old Acer 7739 needed those remedies but the KDE Neon on my newer Acer V3-771G didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by aria View Post
          ...I'll change my habits from "kdesudo dolphin" to "kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin"
          You know, copying a dolphin launcher that you'd find in /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications and editing the exec and description lines (plus renaming the file to distinguish it from a regular dolphin launcher) would make using root dolphin quick and easy.

I'm gonna have to try a straight kdesudo myself; GG says it's fixed in Neon so it should be fixed or close to fixed in Sid.

cheers -
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

my Neon dose this as well ,,,,only opens once in a working state with "kdesudo dolphin"

but I never noticed ,, as I use the "root actions service menu" in Dolphin and it will open a folder/directory as root consecutive times no problem.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000 View Post
              You know, copying a dolphin launcher that you'd find in /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications and editing the exec and description lines (plus renaming the file to distinguish it from a regular dolphin launcher) would make using root dolphin quick and easy.

I'm gonna have to try a straight kdesudo myself; GG says it's fixed in Neon so it should be fixed or close to fixed in Sid.

cheers -
              I must apologize. I read "somewhere" that the problem wasn't in Neon, or it was fixed but was broken again, I don't remember which, and I had not run Dolphin as root! (I use mc). I just tried it and I am sad to report that the "kdesudo dbus-run-session dolphin" and other measure posted by Kubical are still required. Sorry.

EDIT: I forgot to include to the post about Kubical's fixes for Dolphin as root:
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post386823
              Kubical's method works in my installation of KDE Neon User Edition.
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 21, 2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                I must apologize. I read "somewhere" that the problem wasn't in Neon, or it was fixed but was broken again, I don't remember which, and I had not run Dolphin as root! (I use mc). I just tried it and I am sad to report that the "kdesudo "dbus-run-session dolphin" and other measure posted by Kubical are still required. Sorry.
                No worries at all; I wonder if this is a 'wontfix'?
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek!
                  aria

Comment

Working...
                  X