X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

baloo-file-extractor heavy processor usage

16.04.1 LTS

For the last three days, this process has been using 40+% of my processor cycles.

I've been on (but off-line) for at least 30 hours, and baloo-file-extractor runs the entire time. It is still running as I write this, online.

Has anyone else noted this action?
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Humm ,,,,,,,@hear it takes about 2min to run .

1-go to system settings>search>file search and set some areas NOT to search ,,,,especially if you have large storage areas ,,,,, and/or disable it hear .

2-in Kickoff>system>Kinfocenter>File indexer monitor>you can "suspend" the search .

as in allmost everything in linux land their is/are alternatives ,,,,,,,,I like a file search program called "recoll" ,,,,,,,it dose need to run a file indexer ,,, but it dose not run on every boot after the first indexing ,,,,,you tell it when you want it to re-index or set a crone job to do it when you will not be bothered by it.

see
    apt show recoll
    if you install it the indexer will start the first time you open the program ,,,,,,,,,stop it ,,,,,,,go to the settings and set the areas to index or it will do everything mounted and available to read ,,,,,then restart it and let it run ,,,,,,,,then just run a append to index search when you feel like it .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, Thanks, I 'll test this.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

There was a problem with baloo_file_extractor in 14.04 a couple years ago but it was fixed. Perhaps this is a regression?
        In that thread gavin77 suggested this.
        Don't confuse baloo_file_indexer with akondadi_file_indexer.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

In my opinion, baloo is needed for only specific conditions related to large installations, perhaps commercial operations. I have disabled indexing daemons for the past couple of LTS installations. I don't miss it at all. There may be good reasons for utilizing baloo, but if it's using such a a significant portion of the your computing resources, it can be disabled.

There are CLI resources for finding what you need: apropos find
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

One CLI jglen490 is referring to is "locate" from the mlocate package. You can reindex locate by running "sudo updatedb" in a Konsole. It is very fast and recognizes regular expressions. I use it for all my searching activities.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I suspended the indexing operation per Vinny's suggestion. System speed is noticeably faster...

Since my need for local search is very small (once a year, maybe) this is not a loss for my use.

I note that the indexing was only at about 50-60%, after over 40 hours of running. That is a problem. My system has only an 80GB HD and it is less than 30% full, so there is an indexing problem.

Thanks for the help to all.

Comment

GreyGeek is spot on. On a small system,
                Code:
                sudo find / -name <object name, can use wild cards>
                works well even without indexing.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

hear is recoll doing a search for "*.pdf"

you have the choice rite hear to "preview" "open" or "snippets" the *.pdf

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I highly recommend Recoll. It's super light on your system, and is EXTREMELY FAST once you have your indexing done (and that doesn't take all that long either, depending on the size of your system and what you have Recoll index). It's an amazing application.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes their are a few of us that hang out @hear that have been praising recoll for years .

and it seems this current version defaults to just indexing your home and even asks if thats ok or if you wold like to set the indexing perimeters first

however if you use system links in home as I do you must check a box in the indexing settings for it follow links!

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        Humm ,,,,,,,@hear it takes about 2min to run .

1-go to system settings>search>file search and set some areas NOT to search ,,,,especially if you have large storage areas ,,,,, and/or disable it hear .

2-in Kickoff>system>Kinfocenter>File indexer monitor>you can "suspend" the search .

as in allmost everything in linux land their is/are alternatives ,,,,,,,,I like a file search program called "recoll" ,,,,,,,it dose need to run a file indexer ,,, but it dose not run on every boot after the first indexing ,,,,,you tell it when you want it to re-index or set a crone job to do it when you will not be bothered by it.

see

if you install it the indexer will start the first time you open the program ,,,,,,,,,stop it ,,,,,,,go to the settings and set the areas to index or it will do everything mounted and available to read ,,,,,then restart it and let it run ,,,,,,,,then just run a append to index search when you feel like it .
                        Indexing-Enabled=false
                        VINNY
                        RE #1: I can select /home (or /home/twp) but they do not "stick". Yes, I clicked on the "apply" button. Nothing I select will remain selected.

RE #2: I can suspend the indexing operation, but only for the current session. On reboot, the indexing begins again.

I cannot find any reports on how to turn off baloo in Version 16.04. The suggestions (for Version 14.04) use changes to the baloo configuration file which DO NOT have any effect (yes, I did reboot)

I do find this:
                        Quoting one of the Baloo authors: (http://vhanda.in/blog/2014/04/deskto...configuration/)

There is no explicit “Enable/Disable” button any more. We would like to promote the use of searching and feel that Baloo should never get in the users way. However, we are smart about it and IF you add your HOME directory to the list of “excluded folders”, Baloo will switch itself off since it no longer has anything to index.
                        It would seem (my view/opinion) that the developers are insisting on indexing, even when the user (me) does not want it...

I conclude that baloo is 'broken" right now and this really needs to be addressed by the developers.

I apologize if this appears to be a "rant" but my frustration is fairly high after days of work to fix this problem. [/rantoff]

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post

I cannot find any reports on how to turn off baloo in Version 16.04. The suggestions (for Version 14.04) use changes to the baloo configuration file which DO NOT have any effect (yes, I did reboot)

. [/rantoff]
                          which config file ,,,,,,, ~/.config/baloofilerc ?

did you see this one

https://community.kde.org/Baloo/Configuration

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

@Vinny,
                            Yes, I did find that site and I set this in the baloo config file in my home directory: ~/.config/baloofilerc

[Basic Settings]
                            Indexing-Enabled=false

No effect on baloo-file-extractor or baloo-file, both continue to run (yes, I did reboot).

I also used the system activity monitor (ctl-esc) to kill both of the above processes. they both restart on reboot.

I have also deleted the index file itself (~/.local/share/baloo/index ). It was recreated on reboot.

And I've tried running the command in Konsole:

balooctl disable
                            with no effect.
                            Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Aug 24, 2016, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Baloo seems to be a damned nuisance

Maybe I got that wrong, in which case please explain.

I can add my home to the "configure file search" list, click apply, leave system settings, go back to system settings > search > configure file search, and my hnme has disappeared from the list.

I deselected "Enable file search" in the same window, but nothing seems to change. Are there multiple file searches and this one is not for baloo?

Baloo ran yesterday and is running again today and taking over 40% of my cpu. I don't need that.

I rarely do searches and when I do, I use the find command, which in my opinion is irreplaceable. I love it.

So how do I stop baloo?

Thanks in advance.

Oh yes, I'm in 16.04, 64-bit.
                              'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X