This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated from 14.4 to 16.4 - After Kubuntu logo blank screen

I updated through the update manager and after I rebooted, the Kubuntu logo comes up for a bit. After that it goes away and I am left with a blank screen. I can connect to it via putty and the files shares can be accessed from my windows pc. The Kubuntu box lets me type on the screen but does not appear to be accepting commands.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Update - I was able to get to a logon screen and manually star x.

Motherboarrd:ASRock H81M-ITX LGA 1150 Intel H81 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
    CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 Haswell Dual-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1150 54W BX80646I34160 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Video - Intel Graphics 4400

I found the solution in the thread "XServer doesn't start automaticaly".I got to the logon screen, logged in, ran sudo dpkg-reconfigure sddm and rebooted. Lo and behold it came up. Thanks oshunluvr.

This is indicative of what happens when there is a really large set of very major underlying changes from one release to another. Going from 14.04 to 16.04, not only skips three non-LTS releases, but also reveals the changes attributable to changing not just a kernel level, but the accompanying Plasma and QT level jumps. I'm thankful that much wiser folks than I, here on Kubuntu Forums, strongly recommended doing a fresh install. I was able to focus on configuration issues and adjustments, while in a working platform.

This was absolutely not jayrober's fault, or anyone else who got caught up in this, but rather the result of combining a maelstrom of major changes.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
    X